What to wear

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Right fellas,

Conumdrum, this saturday i'm doing a 100 mile charity ride from Derby to Skegness, maybe some of you are? Question is oohh what to wear, weather forecast has changed now to peeing it down albeit warm. Do i a) wear short sleeve base layer & rapha wind jacket which is shower proof but not great next to the skin, or b) say stuff it & wear short sleeve top & gilet which is only shower proof ? or c) just wear thin long sleeve jersey & let it get wet?

:?
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Be different.

Duffel coat, wellingtons, and a kilt.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    T de F polka dot/yellow jersey, white team shorts for visibility/safety purposes. Its also the Tour next month, so it will be a nice touch.

Carry one of those see through waterproof gilets in your back pocket if it turns nasty.

HTH

Y
  • shedhead
    Cheers chaps,

What tartan to wear though ? i don't want to clash with the duffel !

cheers Yossie, although don't white shorts become see-through when wet? Don't want to spend sat' in Lincoln nick !
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    shedhead wrote:
    McDuff'll do fine
  • Wheelie Bin
    Wheelie Bin Posts: 162
    Stockings, stilleto's and (wet) t-shirt... oh bugger... wrong forum.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Wearing rapha will motivate others to go faster than you, but its not a race so fugg 'em
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Ask yer Mum - she'll have some sensible advice for you.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Wellingtons are probably not the best to cycle in though - long cherry red DM boots will probably be better.
  • markyboy2005
    markyboy2005 Posts: 465
    Bodypaint and a smile!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Wait to the day :lol:

Chance of showers, jersey + armwarmers + gillet in back pocket

Chance of anything heavy, jersey + boil in bag type rain coat
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    shedhead wrote:
    Cheers chaps,

cheers Yossie, although don't white shorts become see-through when wet? Don't want to spend sat' in Lincoln nick !

True, true - if the forecast says its going to rain, then go for black or blue team, otherwsie I honestly think that a ride like this is an occasion to pimp up, get the good bike and carbon deep rims out and enjoy yourself : if you're stuck at work all week then go for it and stuff everyone else: its your day.
  • shedhead
    What about some nice silk french knickers ?........... cue Aggie !
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Don't wear Rapha in Skegvegas, you will get mugged for it. I is probably worth more than Skeg High Street!

Also watch out for the hordes of mobility scooters, it seesm to be the UK capital for mobility scooters

(the MiL lives there)
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Anyway OP, why would you cycle from Derby to Skegness? There's nothing to see but fields of potatoes and it's been mentioned that you'll probably be mugged when you arrive.

I know it's for 'Charidy', but just stick a fiver in a collection tin at the start and go cycling in the Peak District. :wink:
  • shedhead
    I know Skeggy / chip pan alley isn't the best destination but it's organised through Rolls Royce in Derby & has been going for 18 yrs now i think. It is brilliantly supported by RR. There are three sign in points & at each of these there is free drinks & food & bike parts. On arrival they stick some bubble wrap round your bike & bring them back to Derby for you to collect. I'm up to £200 in sponsor money & last year i think £12k was raised. Oh & we're staying over for a spot of "re-hydration"
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    Don't wear Rapha in Skegvegas, you will get mugged for it. I is probably worth more than Skeg High Street!

Also watch out for the hordes of mobility scooters, it seesm to be the UK capital for mobility scooters

(the MiL lives there)

Loada bollox, Skeggites wouldn't even begin to comprehend the Rapha brand. Burberry or Le Coste ya might have to watch ya back though. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    shedhead wrote:
    I know Skeggy / chip pan alley isn't the best destination but it's organised through Rolls Royce in Derby & has been going for 18 yrs now i think. It is brilliantly supported by RR. There are three sign in points & at each of these there is free drinks & food & bike parts. On arrival they stick some bubble wrap round your bike & bring them back to Derby for you to collect. I'm up to £200 in sponsor money & last year i think £12k was raised. Oh & we're staying over for a spot of "re-hydration"

That sounds neat.

Usually the only thing to do in Skeggy is a u-turn.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Butt-plug, oil up and smile. Thats what I wear on every charity occasion.
  • shedhead
    Morning all,

Update on the ride for all you fashionistas ! So, i went for in the end, de marchi shorts with a nice white inlaid panel on a black background, black italian rapha top but with the rapha cunningly disguised by a gilet & some arm warmers ! no butt-plug i'm afraid dmclite.

Oh & i did the 100 in 5hrs dead !
  • Anonymous
    Your average would have been higher if you'd used the buttplug, honest. :D
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    one of these badboys

flickr-fietsberaad-3816900699_a2eccca49dweb.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • shedhead
    hey nice, do they do a merino one?

dmclite, i'm going to get in touch with rapha's development dept' to see to what they can come up with plug-wise !
  • Anonymous
    shedhead wrote:
    hey nice, do they do a merino one?

dmclite, i'm going to get in touch with rapha's development dept' to see to what they can come up with plug-wise !
    Ha, it'll be made of reynolds 531 and have the words Col de arsole with a pink stripe running up and down it and will retail at £280, limited run of 100. :D

Might get one anyway.........
  • shedhead
    I think there may be a "gap" in the market !

Design ideas anyone ?
    :D