Brake Bleed kit - advice needed for a noob

mountaingoatimnot
mountaingoatimnot Posts: 185
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Had my 2010 Spesh Pitch (old new stock) for a few months now and the brakes are superb, but i'd like to be able to bleed the Juicy 3 when needed

My son's new Merida uses Hayes Stroker Ryde brakes - as this is a 2009 model, i want to bleed / flush the brakes with fresh fluid (one brake is ever so slightly mushy anyway).

Looking around on eBay there seems to be a multitude of kits, from simple squeeze bottles to syringes - most are labelled for specific brakes too

Is there a generic universal brake bleed kit, or one suitable for Hayes and Avid Juicy ?

Many thanks

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I bought a "universal bleed kit" from CRC many moons ago, I suppose they still sell them or something similar, it should list the brake models that it's suitable for

also; find a video on break bleeding on you tube, it's invaluable (or was for me)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get the right kit of the right rakes it makes life so much easier. and there is not really a one that does them all as the all have different methods. read the manuals for the brakes you have and see how they compare or dont.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers guys - just thought there may have been a single kit that had various tubes/end fittings

Edit - i found the icetoolz universal one with numerous adaptors, but since its more money than buying the two kits I need I'll just go with two specific kits :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I Have an Avid Bleed kit and then bled the hayes with just a syringe and tube......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have bought the Hayes specifi kit from EPIC on eBay.

I dare say i can pick up the correct adaptor and a bit of pipe if needbe for the Avids

thanks
  • Kit arrived Friday, but with other priorities over the last few days, it was today when i had a go bleeding for the first time. Followed the instructions provided by Epic (i also remembered to replace the bleed screw in the level cylinder which they omitted from the instructions :( ), and was easy, completing both brakes in 25 minutes. The longest part was putting the bike in the correct position to do the bleeding - if i'd had a stand i could have done both brakes in 15 minutes.