Heli Tape, what is it and where to buy ?

davewalsh
davewalsh Posts: 587
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm just completing a new build and don't want the frame to be covered in cable rub marks in 12 months time. I've seen a few topics about applying Heli-Tape to frames and have the following questions:

What is it ? (I'm assuming it's a hard wearing clear tape).

Where's the best place to get some ?

Cheers,
Dave.

Comments

• ebay.

convertape is the shop I think

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/convertape

Bought from them loads.. very quick delivery and have it on all my bikes.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Cheers, just ordered some :D
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    How did you get on with this tape?

Any tips on how best to apply it? What areas of the bike do most people tape up ad what width tapes do you use?

Any info / ideas appreciated.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`ve used several but the stuff from Paragon tapes on ebay worked and looked the best.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I`ve used several but the stuff from Paragon tapes on ebay worked and looked the best.

Just had soem arrive this morning from Paragon. I used it on my Spesh previously - the only thing i found was it wasn't the stickiest tape (maybe i used too much window cleaner to 'float' it on) but once dried its stuck fast for several months now. Will be a bit more liberal with the fluid this afternoon on my son's new Merida.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    They collect millions of tiny bubbles which gives it an opacity unless you try something like Mountaingoat's method - I've not heard of using window cleaner but, maybe a very soapy water will do.
  • They collect millions of tiny bubbles which gives it an opacity unless you try something like Mountaingoat's method - I've not heard of using window cleaner but, maybe a very soapy water will do.

soapy water works just as well, just don't over soap it.

I use spray window cleaner purely because its handy in the garage (used on car windows) and its less soapy so you don;t tend to squeeze out any dissolved adhesive. Just done my son's new Merida , a bit fiddly with all its curved hydroformed sections, but worked out fine. I got the '14 piece' kit from Paragon, and i've used about half of it !
  • paulload
    paulload Posts: 15
    My first post, hope this is allowed: I reccomend http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/ they covered my Giant Trance and very happy!
    Giant Trance X3 2012
    Spec Rockhopper Comp 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can't understand why anyone would try and cover a whole frame with tape. Cable rub areas maybe, which is what the OP seemed to be asking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    cooldad wrote:
    I can't understand why anyone would try and cover a whole frame with tape. Cable rub areas maybe

+1 (or more) on this ^^
    Cable rub areas, RH chain stay and the areas that get hit hard by flying gravel, but a whole frame is a bit excessive
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • All depends how precious you are about your bike and the money you've invested in it - no different to cars, some people will polish them almost weekly, other don't even wash them for months !
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Resale value has a lot to do with it. I pretty much taped up the whole frame on my old Orange Patriot, just because it was so easy to do with so many flat sections.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't see bikes as ornaments or investments. In fact if people spent less time faffing with jetwashes, speciality cleaners, pledge on frames etc I bet there'd be a lot fewer posts about bearings going and brakes not working properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools