can i go tubeless on dt swiss or alex rims?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi can i go tubeless on dt swiss 445 d rims or alex rims ? and using mountain king 2.4 tyres?
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Yes you can. However you would need a conversion kit as those are not UST (universal system tubeless) specific rims. A workshop video was posted recently of how to do this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... ss--34167/

You would also need UST Tyres, i am pretty sure you cannot use normal tyres even if you successfully convert the rims.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    oxocube1 wrote:
    You would also need UST Tyres, i am pretty sure you cannot use normal tyres even if you successfully convert the rims.
    So wrong! If you are going with tubeless sealant option, you can go with UST or tubeless ready tires. Also, you can go with many non-tubeless tires, but with them, it's more try and test method. They may not seal or perform good enough.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Either a rim strip as stated or google "ghetto tubeless", a method of using a (split) BMX innertube as a rimstrip

tyres can be tubeless or non. for non you for sure need sealant, for tubeless tures in a ghetto setup I'm less sure but my bet is on needing sealant aswell.

I have ghettoed Schwalbe nobby nics and Maxxis High Rollers onto DTswiss 5.1 and onto Easton XCones successfully
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    sigorman85 wrote:
    hi can i go tubeless on dt swiss 445 d rims or alex rims ? and using mountain king 2.4 tyres?

yes, google for "ghetto tubeless walkthrough"

word of caution - dt 445d rims are 22mm wide - they're on the narrow side IMO.

which alex rims?
    which model of mountain kings?
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Cheers guys will let you no how I get on I'm sure there will be a few swear words in the process
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2