Morzine/ Les Gets Bike choice

no9ismine
no9ismine Posts: 45
edited July 2012 in Holidays
I am booked into Alpine Elements for a week early August with my family (first downhill trip)

I am going to hire a bike and will take advantage of their free basic hardtail (Specialized Hardrock Disc) to explore for a couple of days and am trying to find out what would be the best bet for the remaining 3/4 days.

Just going by their website they offer a 120mm Specialized Camber and 170mm/ 200mm Specialized Status 1 downhill bike but am open to any hire suggestions at the moment.

I will be doing XC on the hardtail then concentrating on downhill for the rest. I have done short downhill tracks at Woburn Woods and am a competent XC/ trail rider.

Underlying question is what sort of travel bike should I be looking at bearing in mind that more travel = more money.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Comments

• UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    What Alpine Elements don't tell you, is that they only have one or two of the bigger bikes. If you want them, book early, though the later in the season, the more fucked up they'll be even with the best mechanics. Same goes for the basic hardtails.

As you're fairly new to the DH thing, you won't be going mental on it, so a short-travel will be fine. I advise talking to the mechanics and the staff, and try to tag along with them when they ride as they'll likely know the nicer trails that aren't so rutted up.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    There's little point renting a long travel bike from Alpine Elements because they'll be set up so sh1t and rigid you won't get the use out of the suspension.

Do yourself a favour and hire from somewhere else when you want a DH bike
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I can't remember the name, but there's a great little place in Les Gets that hires out Morewoods. The bikes were in excellent condition and the guys in the shop were sound.
    The shop is in the main high street bit, not too far from the lush bakery.
  • We were in Morzine / Les Gets last week, as most of us ride hardtails over here we hired (brand new) GT Furys from www.alpinesportswarehouse.com. It worked out at approx £60 a day to hire them, and as someone has already mentioned I would ring / email and book in advance.
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • no9ismine
    no9ismine Posts: 45
    Thanks for all your help, though plans now slightly skewed after a knee operation that is ruling out any cycling whatsoever for a couple of months.

Andy
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Well that sucks the big one. bad luck mon