Changing the frame

buckett
buckett Posts: 19
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm looking to get my first road bike and being a student I am on a bit of a budget, therefore opting for a second hand bike. I have found one I like but the frame is too small, far too small infact! How easy would it be to just take all the components, handles, forks etc and just put them on a new frame which would actually fit me? Thank in advance!

Tl;dr Same components new frame, how easy it it?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Its easy, providing all of the components fit.

You may have issues with the headset/fork steerer tube length & diameter/fornt mech size/seat clamp size/seat post size/bb type etc.

You'll need to factor in some spare chas for new inner and out cables and bar tape aswell (i would have thought, unless you're very lucky)
  • buckett
    styxd wrote:
    Its easy, providing all of the components fit.

Thanks, Do you think I would have more luck if I stick to the same manufacturer i.e replace Giant frame with a Giant frame?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Possibly. Which frames were you looking at?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Its simple - one day really slow taking your time cleaning greasing everything up job.

As above - its cheapest easiest if you are lucky enough to find another frame with the same size front mech band and seat post. Unfortunately using the same manufacturer does not guarantee this!

Do a search on here re frame changing - this point was discussed fairly in depth about 6 weeeks ago.
  • buckett
    Thanks for the feedback so far!
    I was looking at taking a Giant SCR 1.5 ('small') and swapping the frame with a Giant 'Once' frame (55.5cm). I'm trying to find a complete frame measurements guide to see if they are comparable.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I may be able to do you a deal on a Giant TCR frame and forks if you want - excellent codnition and sounds about the size you need. Black and yellow. Like a freally, really fast bumble bee.