Shimano 9/10 sp component cross compatibility

bomberesque
bomberesque Posts: 1,701
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon all

I did a quick search on this and came up dry, although I'm *sure* it must have been covered in the past so probably my search-fu isn't very good

what I'm after is advice on cross compatibility between 9 and 10sp components.

Specifically;

I know that 10 sp chains are nominally narrower than 9sp, but is it enough to preclude the use of 9sp chainrings in an otherwise 10sp setup?
Will a 9sp (shimano) derraleur work with a shimano 10sp cassette & shifter? Especially thinking of using a low normal (Rapid Rise) 9sp derralier in a 10sp setup

ta
Everything in moderation ... except beer
Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
... or being punched by it, depending on the day

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope - it is all in the FAQs
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 they are basically the same
    2 see above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesque
    Thanks. On looking again I did find the entry in the FAQs. a long answer to a short question! well summarised Chunkers, thank you

Having confirmed that the front shifter I bought is 2/3 sp switchable the crank seems not a problem but it seems that after a decade and a half of being a Rapid rise fanboi I am going to have to relearn how to shift gears. Cue much swearing and creaking of knees at the bottom of climbs

• nicklouse
    so why bother spending all that cash? shifter mech chain cassette.............
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bomberesque
    new bike. could have gone with a legacy 9sp RR der set up I suppose but as the idea is end of life anyway I'm going to need to make the switch at some point.

The only reason I thought of it actually was an answer to a letter in some MTB rag which suggested swapping shifters and cassette to 10sp but neglected to mention the der. "oh" I thought "perhaps I can stick with RR for one more round"

but no, it seems not

• nicklouse
    yep no way different cable pull.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not quite legacy yet. In fact, probably won't be until something newly viable comes along
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Legacy as in no longer produced and superseded, now twice over, justified word IMO!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can use flat bar road shifters to get 10 speed out of your RR rear der'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.