Cannock Chase first fire road climb - alternative section

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited June 2012 in Routes
I hunted around for some alternative Cannock Chase trails today, and I found the different route up the first fire road that is quite commonly talked about.

However, disappointingly it was quite impassable due to large trees strewn across the trail. If it was a clear trail, it would be a really great alternative to that boring fire road climb, why they don't make it part of the dog I don't know.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting it here, is if everyone who reads this and regularly rides Cannock goes and finds this trail next time they ride, and removes just a few of the trees from the trail, then in no time at all it will be clear and we can all enjoy it.

Here are some pics of it:

CC3.jpg
CC1.jpg

It is genuinely a real nice alternative to the fire road. Its accessed by turning into the forest on the left hand side at the base of the straight fireroad climb. It emerges near the top, still on the straight fireroad with a bit left to go.

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    No. If someone's been to the effort to do that then it's been blocked for a reason.
  • danlightbulb
    I don't think its deliberate. It looks like branches which have fallen naturally to me. They are everywhere.
  • paulyh101
    paulyh101 Posts: 78
    Its been brashed off for some time and they dont want us to use it the reason why im not sure
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I thought there were two alternative routes up, have only found the one myself, mainly switchback climbing.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    When I was there 2 weeks ago there were 2 riders clearing that section. So I'd say the branches are there deliberately cause were not welcome to ride there.
    Cheers Nathan.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    IIRC its a planned ascent for the future, I've ridden it once when it was roughed out with marking tape and now its been blanked off for quite a while.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have cleared it meself on a couple of occasions but the trail police always put the brash back they clearly dont want us to ride it.

Shame really because when i first went that way it seemed as though someone had taken a lot of time and trouble to build it - stratigically felled trees, built up off-camber bits and even log edging. A great trail through the woods away from the tedium of the fireroad

Was pretty good in the other direction as well
  • danlightbulb
    I wonder who keeps putting the brash back then?

Surely someone isn't so anal as to be inspecting that 'unused' section every week.

I tweeted chasetrails about it, response was thus:
    Chase Trails ‏@ChaseTrails

Not sure - although it was originally planned as an alternate ascent, it was never given official status. I'll ask about.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Surely someone isn't so anal as to be inspecting that 'unused' section every week.
    You'd be surprised. The first time I debrashed it mid-week it was back again after the weekend same goes for other sections.

Would like to hear officially from the FC why Thou Shalt Only Ride The Official Trails I'm guessing it's because of public liability but is it?

Do the FC really have a duty to maintain their land so we can't hurt ourselves and are only allowed to ride trails that some beard with a clipboard has OKd?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    .blitz wrote:
    Do the FC really have a duty to maintain their land so we can't hurt ourselves and are only allowed to ride trails that some beard with a clipboard has OKd?

Seeing as some numpty would probably ride along it, hurt themselves on a bit of a stick and then complain and put a claim in for damages caused by the unfinished / unmarked track then I can see why they'd discourage it.
  • danlightbulb
    DodgeT wrote:
    .blitz wrote:

Seeing as some numpty would probably ride along it, hurt themselves on a bit of a stick and then complain and put a claim in for damages caused by the unfinished / unmarked track then I can see why they'd discourage it.

There are supposedly unmarked trails all over the chase so that doesn't really make sense. Any judge with an ounce of sense would never honour a damages claim if someone was mountain biking surely...its totally 'own risk' terratory.

I wonder who is putting this brash back in place if its being reinstated within days of being moved. And we wonder where our tax dollars go...
  • DodgeT
    Where there's a blame there's a claim etc. etc. They'd then just argue that there was not a sign saying NOT to use it.

It would be interesting to know what accidents / inceidents have resulted in claims at MTB centres, specifically somewhere like Llnadegla where someone is usually carted off in an ambulance most times i'm there.
  • danlightbulb
    There's been a development:

Chasetrails have re-replied to my original tweet thus:
    1h Chase Trails Chase Trails ‏@ChaseTrails
    I asked - it wasn't the Forestry Commission, and it wasn't any of us!

It may be another rider who's concerned about it getting overly churned up with all the wet weather we've been having?

Or it could be Stickman gone mad...

No idea who stickman is... anyway imo that means its free to clear.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    There's been a development:

Chasetrails have re-replied to my original tweet thus:
    1h Chase Trails Chase Trails ‏@ChaseTrails
    I asked - it wasn't the Forestry Commission, and it wasn't any of us!

It may be another rider who's concerned about it getting overly churned up with all the wet weather we've been having?

Or it could be Stickman gone mad...

In that case yeah, suppose it is, get busy then :lol:
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636

Stickman is a notorious (non-biking) local (or locals) who likes to put sticks and logs across the trails - sometimes if you're lucky they'll be placed between trees at head height, and sometimes with nails. He's gained near-mythical status, but usually if there's logs placed on the trail, Stickman gets the blame.

Somebody also put carpet tacks down on various bits of the trail, which was nice. -_-
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Wherever you ride there is often someone who doesn't le it unfortunately, even in a dedicated trail centre. Shame really
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • DodgeT
    True, lots of them about.
    When found, they should be beaten with a stick too.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I dont think its been properly surfaced though?

I did it once, but even in summer I found it so boggy that I didnt think it was worth attempting again. The bog was so bad the wheel wouldnt turn in the fork properly by the time I got to the top!