An idiots guide to recent 'events'

Big Hairy Wallapers
Big Hairy Wallapers Posts: 182
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi
I've been reading this forum for a while and occasionally post...
However I've not followed recent events and consequent changes like a hawk so could someone provide a brief synopsis of what has changed and why without the in-depth analysis of an Eastenders omnibus style read of every post since time began!

Many thanks.

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    F.U.B.A.R . that is all.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    ^^^ thats about right - basically the bottom bracket is now the new cake stop - and cake stop is now the place to go if you want to play the song title thread game. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • That is indeed very brief but....Why?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    tim wand wrote:
    F.U.B.A.R . that is all.

Oh I dunno so much, I think a few members may attempt a coup d'etat. I have my popcorn ready, sweet not salty.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Some communter asked a question about why dirty words are banned but dirty pics are not. Other communters who have never visited the Girls In Thread then paid a visit and declared themselves so shocked that all roadies were called dangerous rapists and as such should have their Girls In thread removed.

As a compromise the admins suggested a Section that had 'adult' material in and which could only be viewed if you logged on.

So yesterday the admins spent time - pointlessly - moving posts that didnt conform to a pointless definition of 'adult' into the redefined Cake stop Section. If you posted while the move was happened your post was removed if you questioned why you received a 1 day ban, well THMNET did, haha also...

To make space for this pointless extra section other sections have been amalgamated so Tour&Sportives are now sub fora, for some reason- possibly cos the admins fucked it up - theres a new for sale section that bizarrely....oh fuck it it's just a mess. Tim Wand was right its a massive FUBAR.

Interestingly though no communters bothered to post in Cake Stop, except for maybe msmancunia - but then she does seem to have a sense of humour. So now cake stop is no more and the bottom bracket is alive and well but you can't diss willhub. Think thats what happened anyway. :D
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I do believe I have taken one for the team. Although when my PM outbox empties I may not survive much longer.

In which case. I miss you guys already!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    To answer the OP...

Basically one of the commuters had a baby (congratulations) and a subsequent overnight transformation. Thus he was suddenly offended by the "Girls in..." threads and then self-appointed as the one to defend the honour of the forum's female (and poofter) members. Much toing and froing ensued, a bandwagon was MOT'd, taxed and insured and there was room in the back for many.

So here we are; the "Girls in..." threads were consolidated into one - I think? - and all the "risque" Cake Stop content was moved into here, your brand new and shiny Bottom Bracket.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    edited June 2012
    We are looking for one, a mighty leader who can pull the sword from the sacred stone (or at least its rusty scabbard) and lead us back to Cakelot.

We shall call him Arthur and he can lead us "The Knights of the Round Eccles Cake" to Avalon and beyond on our quest for the holy grail.(a.k.a Ezyriders decals)

Failing that well take a Shrubbery or at least a well trimmed bush in commuter land.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I am utterly and totally confused by all this and a) I do not have time to get utterly and totally confused b)I am generally too tired to be utterly and totally confused by things c) how did a bunch of communters manage to do this to THE MIGHTY CAKE STOP?.

Please can we go back to the original Cake Stop and just make anyone who wants to go in there agree to a one off never repeatable disclaimer saying that they won't get angry when they see a picture of a girl/man wearing something that they may see the girl/man wearing say, on the beach. Or in a copy of a daily newspaper.

Please? Pretty please? Oh go on, you know you want to.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Yossie wrote:
    I am utterly and totally confused by all this and a) I do not have time to get utterly and totally confused b)I am generally too tired to be utterly and totally confused by things c) how did a bunch of communters manage to do this to THE MIGHTY CAKE STOP?.

Please can we go back to the original Cake Stop and just make anyone who wants to go in there agree to a one off never repeatable disclaimer saying that they won't get angry when they see a picture of a girl/man wearing something that they may see the girl/man wearing say, on the beach. Or in a copy of a daily newspaper.

Please? Pretty please? Oh go on, you know you want to.

They won't back down now. They've even made little badges like you get at cubs for 'moding' in here. If you delete and ban enough you become a 'sixer mod'.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Oh bollox to all this then - I'm too confused to carry on. I'm off to get drunk. Probably be back later posting something I won't regret in the morning (after all, anything goes in the bottom bracket).

Considering though that everyone was against this new bottom bracket thing, isn't it just a tad fascistic to force us all in here like cattle?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Just you wait until someone moans about BB... Wonder just how far we could push the limits before we end up signing disclaimers and getting palmed off to an outside contractor via some sort of link like httpx//www.aggiesbasement.orgy.co.uk.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Could this be the easy and obvious solution??

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/off-topic

Maybe worth a look.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    ^^^^ Of course!! Now why didn't I think of STW??

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    Ben6899 wrote:
    To answer the OP...

Basically one of the commuters had a baby (congratulations) and a subsequent overnight transformation. Thus he was suddenly offended by the "Girls in..." threads and then self-appointed as the one to defend the honour of the forum's female (and poofter) members.

I'm fairly sure that any gay forum users don't give a stuff about the "Girls in..." threads but thanks for going out of your way to alienate them anyway.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    To answer the OP...

Basically one of the commuters had a baby (congratulations) and a subsequent overnight transformation. Thus he was suddenly offended by the "Girls in..." threads and then self-appointed as the one to defend the honour of the forum's female (and poofter) members.

I'm fairly sure that any gay forum users don't give a stuff about the "Girls in..." threads but thanks for going out of your way to alienate them anyway.

PP

My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek, much in the spirit and tone of the old Cake Stop and its successor, Bottom Bracket. Everyone else - the clique, if you will - seemed to get it and moved on to the next post without so much as a batted eyelid. Heck, even Rick saw straight through it!

I thought the rest of my post kind of gave all that away - you know, taxing and MOTing a freakin Band Wagon for example - but in future, I will suffix all of my posts with guidance on which parts are sarcastic, serious, technical, topical etc...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Ben6899 wrote:

I thought the rest of my post kind of gave all that away - you know, taxing and MOTing a freakin Band Wagon for example - but in future, I will suffix all of my posts with guidance on which parts are sarcastic, serious, technical, topical etc...

Man, that was good, literally laughed out loud at that. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Ben6899
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Man, that was good, literally laughed out loud at that. :lol:

Thanks Capt.

I don't often stoop to "condescending prick" mode, but sometimes life calls for it.
    Ben

• PedalPedant
    Ben6899 wrote:
    but in future, I will suffix all of my posts with guidance on which parts are sarcastic, serious, technical, topical etc...

You missed out bigoted :wink:

To be honest I don't really care, it just struck me that bandying about terms like "poofter" seems a bit unnecessary these days.

PP

Target free since 2011.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Ben6899 wrote:
    but in future, I will suffix all of my posts with guidance on which parts are sarcastic, serious, technical, topical etc...

To be honest I don't really care, it just struck me that bandying about terms like "poofter" seems a bit unnecessary these days.

PP

not a bad idea to be testing the boundaries of what can and can't be said in a new more lassaize faire section? have a look in crudcatcher, theres way more of similar chat. With recent random modding and BB seemingly been forgotten about after the furore of Wimbledon's Superman bringing his morality hammer down, there's bound to be a bit of bedding in.

The disclaimer on the door is pretty clear too so if you're here then maybe chill out a bit or nip back and have a read of that and see if this bit is likely to be a happy place for someone with pedant in their name :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

PP

None of my posts or part-posts will ever be bigoted. So no worries.
    Ben

• PedalPedant
    not a bad idea to be testing the boundaries of what can and can't be said in a new more lassaize faire section? have a look in crudcatcher, theres way more of similar chat. With recent random modding and BB seemingly been forgotten about after the furore of Wimbledon's Superman bringing his morality hammer down, there's bound to be a bit of bedding in.

The disclaimer on the door is pretty clear too so if you're here then maybe chill out a bit or nip back and have a read of that and see if this bit is likely to be a happy place for someone with pedant in their name :wink:

Fair enough, I only blundered in here following a bookmark to the old Cake Stop. Having found the new Cake Stop and seen the tumbleweed blowing through I think I'll just wind my neck in and stick around here for a bit :D

PP

Target free since 2011.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Interestingly though no communters bothered to post in Cake Stop, except for maybe msmancunia - but then she does seem to have a sense of humour. So now cake stop is no more and the bottom bracket is alive and well but you can't diss willhub. Think thats what happened anyway. :D

I did!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Basically, the name of cake stop changed to bottom bracket, and a new off topic section was created, named (with amazing originality) cake stop.

The only real material difference between bottom bracket, and cake stop v1, as far as I can see is that the kind of banter we saw in cake stop is now officially rather than tacitly allowed. Nevertheless, some regulars wanted to push the boundaries, and of course came into conflict with the mod/admin team.

As far as I can see, the only real differences are the name of the forum, and the lack of multiple girls threads. Nevertheless, some members do like a good moan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHpdgHTINik
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Cleat Eastwood
    mudcow007 wrote:

I did!!

This is true but I dont count you as a communter cos liverpool is so small - you more a mini-day tripper. :D
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    My head hurts and I haven't fallen off in quite a while...

Are all guys who used to run Rangers FC now in charge over here? If so I think I pick up my subscription to STW again.