Given Free Parts - Worth putting on my bike?

FreerideFanUK
FreerideFanUK Posts: 6
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone,

I've been riding for just over a year now with my hardtail Specialized Hardrock 2011 Disc.

One of my friends has a bunch of spare items, tyres, brakes, handlebars etc that he no longer needed and gave me a box full of this stuff.

I've been given some Azonic handlebars and Shimano Deore LX Hydrauloc disc brakes.

Now I was wondering would it be worth me going to a shop and getting the handlebars and hydraulic brakes fitted?

Are the components that come as standard with my bike better than the stuff i've been given?

I'm really into downhill, usually go up to Stainburn or Lee Quarry on weekends.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm rather novice at this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What do you have an the moment. What sort of condition are the new to you bits in?
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Deore brakes are definitely better that standard kit on your Hardrock so if they are in good condition may be worth swapping. As for the handlebars just decide for yourself.

DH on your Hardrock?
  • Thanks for your reply!

From reading the manual that came with my bike I have...

Handlebars:
    Hi-Ten riserbar, 35mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 4 degree up

Rear Brake:
    Mechanical disc brake, dual pad angle adjust, 160mm rotor

The parts I've been given are new and in original packaging- never been used.

This is the Azonic - a Double Wall Riser Bar

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/handle ... 23crx.aspx

Here is a full feature breakdown of the original parts on my bike:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 6#features

Well, light DH and XC - its not very easy on my hardtail - I'm saving up for a full suspension!
  • My friend (who gave me this stuff) has just upgraded to a Commencal Meta SX. That's more what I want but I don't have the money at the moment.

Thanks for your advice - I think I'll go down to the shop later this week and ask them to fit them, as I think I'll just damage my bike in doing so.

So hydraulic brakes good , handlebars not sure?

Will the new handlebars make any difference to me? (I know the azonics are much lighter than my current ones)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd be putting the brakes on for sure. You might want to try doing it yourself if you're feeling up to it - it's pretty straightforward and you'll learn something.

As for the bars, they are likely to be wider than what you currently have, which you may or may not like.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    The Azonic handlebars are better quality than yours but if the angles are different you may not feel comfy with them. Just check and then decide.
  • Thank you very much for all the advice!

I will try to put the handlebars and brakes on myself after reading a few guides. I will probably go to the bike shop later if I can't manage on my own. Just wanted to know if they were higher quality than what came as standard with the bike - I think I've got a good deal on this free stuff!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    All you should need are a few Allen keys.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your mate has any other free stuff, can I send him my Address please?

The brakes I would definitely fit!

Learn to DIY, maintenance on an MTB is never ending and you'll save a fortune if you can!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CommyAdam
    CommyAdam Posts: 70
    im sure i can send more stuff 'freeridefans' way soon...
  • Thanks for all the advice guys. Just to let you know I read online how to fit handlebars and brakes and have been in the garage most of the afternoon with my screwdriver and alan keys - I fitted everything myself!

Thanks again!