Inconsistent moderation

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
Cake stop.

Will's Absolute C**p thread
Frank's deleted FAO Willhub & subsequent apology threads
Dcmlite query thread if Rick C should both mod & contribute as a user
LeicesterLad's Road Beginners wind him up (paraphrased that) thread and comments within it.

For the record I don't think any of it needs modding and that the light touch approach works usually. If people are so thin skinned then BR isn't going to be their thing generally & I'm not after Rick C's blood, I was first to stand up for him on Dcmlite's one.

But deleting Franks thread (on the basis it may put newbies & forum browsers off joining BR) prompted 2 other unnecessary apology/question ones, including fairly strong words from Rick & at the same time there's one which goes much further towards his deletion reason that is left untouched bar a comparatively bland 'play nice ' message. It's too inconsistent & has prompted more confusion & discussion than necessary.

Is there any mentoring or a private mod & admin board where stuff can be quarantined to and discussed prior to action to help new mods bed in?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, there is a private section where matters are discussed. Of course you don't get to see the raft of complaints and reported posts concerning these people.

Sometimes it is 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' lol. Though I have not seen these threads in question.

I am going to push forward changes to the Road Sections today, with the new OT areas. Guidelines for mods will be issued.
  • shouldbeinbed
    cheers & I can sympathise for the thankless task modding is, I do similar with some systems at work, but it might be worth checking the deleted FAO Willhub thread out if it is cache'd anywhere behind the scenes, it seems to set an unfeasibly low bar for being cut vs many others which go further without intervention - particularly for the reasons RC gives for deletion. I know he takes a few knocks and a bit of banter as a forum member for being a mod and fair play to him for volunteering, but a consistent level of intervention can only help him to wear both hats (ugh, manger speak going to wash my hands now) without getting pulled up personally or drawing more attention to minor niggles than they deserve.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    I'm consistent in the sense that, by and large, if it's reported, I take it more seriously than when it's not.

There may well be worse things said/done, but if they're not reported, I tend to leave them alone. Within reason.
  • shouldbeinbed
    fair point but its not necessary to take (drastic) action just because something is complained about. I have to take such views pretty much every day at work and as often as not I'm sitting down with the complainant explaining to them why nothing will be happening over it.

Without prying into private detail and bearing in mind your reason for deletion (not alienating newbies and browsing potential members with the language). What did 'FAO Willhub' do wrong that 'Road beginners give me a complex' and comments within that referring to an entire section of people on here as 'douchebags' not? with or without a complaint flag.

its not about the relative merits and helpfulness of the people concerned, that's not in doubt, it is your reasons for the superficial browser or newbie to this site who most likely hasn't got as far as catching Cake stop nuances or the sense of humour in there, I think would be more put off by the 'road beginners' thread than one speaking directly to another forumite in much lighter terms.
  • rick_chasey
    Probably.

Ultimately it was one post deletion. It's pretty rare any mods get involved with most stuff in road and commuting, save for removing spam and merging the odd thread.

I'm surprised at the furore it's caused, especially given how rare moderator intervention actually occurs over there - the extrapolations are a little bizarre too.

The mods are put in a difficult position when one person's banter/fun gets reported by someone else as bullying - and that will always be a difficult position, and they will not always get it right - in the same way posters don't always get it right.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Doesn't mean you have to act on it,just because 1 person in the entire forum wasn't aware of the context it was in.
  • shouldbeinbed
    Probably.

Ultimately it was one post deletion. It's pretty rare any mods get involved with most stuff in road and commuting, save for removing spam and merging the odd thread.

I'm surprised at the furore it's caused, especially given how rare moderator intervention actually occurs over there - the extrapolations are a little bizarre too.

The mods are put in a difficult position when one person's banter/fun gets reported by someone else as bullying - and that will always be a difficult position, and they will not always get it right - in the same way posters don't always get it right.

Hmmm. You could argue that for shooting Mother Theresa or Ghandi, not everyone agreed with them

Mods are there for when posters don't get it right, whos there for when the Mods don't?

Maybe the furore shows how misguided a set of decisions it was. Which brings me back to the start, you need coaching or mentoring as from the activities & your replies here, you've not fully grasped the responsibility to be consistent & the bother that getting it wrong and not being prepared to put your hands up causes, it's one of those where 20 years experience of large groups of disparate people beats a first class degree hands down.

Interesting to see some comments on the new set up already.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Interesting to see some comments on the new set up already.
    interesting choice of words.

more like name change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rick_chasey
    :lol: Deleting a post is being compared to shooting Ghandi.
  • shouldbeinbed
    :lol: Deleting a post is being compared to shooting Ghandi.

more the rationale behind it but I couldn't quite invoke Godwins law :wink: