Seatpost play - Boardman mtb hardtail 2010 - normal?

add595
add595 Posts: 196
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2010 Boardman Comp Hardtail frame.

The correct size seatpost should be 27.2. I have three of these size seatposts and all have the same isue...

The seatpost is not a snug fit in the seat tube, like it is in every other bike I've ever seen or owned.

The top of the seat tube is not ovalised, as the slackness remains even with the seatpost fully inserted.

Can't require a 27.4 surely as it is an odd size??

The play is only slight, so is it something I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance.
2009 Giant Trance X5
Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
Various other parts 'n' projects

Comments

• add595
    Anyone? Someone must have a 2010 Boardman hardtail frame, is yours the same?

Thanks in advance.
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm sounds like someone has run it with the clamp loose and it's stretched the tube....nothing else makes sense!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Sorry to be Captain Obvious here but can you not just tighten the clamp more?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    TwellySmat wrote:

It's still meant to be a tightish fit. Sounds like the frame is just damaged/faulty. As its brand new, don't ride it and just go back into halfords and ask for a replacement.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Greer_ wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

It's still meant to be a tightish fit. Sounds like the frame is just damaged/faulty. As its brand new, don't ride it and just go back into halfords and ask for a replacement.
    I doubt it's brand new.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    add595 wrote:
    Just purchased a 2010 Boardman Comp Hardtail frame.

Well how long have you had it then? Second hand I take it? Can you get covered under warranty?

If second hand, can you just return it to the seller?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Shim it.
  • add595
    Thanks for all your replies.

To answer questions... I bought this second hand, as seen, so no warranty (it was a fairly low price though and came with some nice cranks). This is not a simple clamp issue! The issue is the amount of (or rather lack of) interference between the seatpost and seat tube, over the entire depth.

I think I may have found the issue. I received the external bottom bracket tool today, and have removed the BB, and found a rather worrying amount of 'grinding paste' (oil/grease/dirt mixed). Now this has got me thinking that if the seat has been lowered and raised regularly, the seat tube could just have been bored out very slightly, exaggerating any play that may have already been there from new (more on this in the next paragraph). Looking down the seat tube with a torch, it does look a bit scratched.

I have a little used 2009 Carrera in for a service at the minute (frames made in the same factory?), and have noticed the 27.2 seatpost/seat tube combo has the same play issue, only not quite as much. This bike, although a few years old, is like new and I doubt the seatpost has ever been adjusted!

So... I reckon I am just going try it, and if the seatpost does not slip, not worry about it.

If it does, I will have to try a 27.4 seatpost, or a 27.4 shim/ 25.4 seatpost combo.

Any more info would of course be appreciated if anyone knows any more about this.

Cheers!
    2009 Giant Trance X5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cut a small shim from a beer or coke can to take up the play it wont need to be very big to do the job just cut up a can with scissors. Its ideal if you dont move the seatpost too often but not too good if you have it up and down like a whores knickers. If you can get a slightly bigger seatpost get a bike shop to run a reamer down the seat tube or you might have to force post in.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a 2006 and a 2008 Carrera frame and 2 other Merida (2007 and 2009) made 27.2 frames and the seatposts are snug in all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So the post is slipping down then?