im wanting to upgrade to 10spd
do i need to replace my chain rings or can i use my existing
thanks
2011 on one 456 carbon x9

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It depends on what yo have now.

Generally they seem to about the only thing you do not need to change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ant1901
    ant1901 Posts: 646
    thanks they are raceface altas
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless you actually need to change shifters and mech and cassette etc all at the same time, why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    cooldad wrote:
    Unless you actually need to change shifters and mech and cassette etc all at the same time, why?

This. I'm not sold on 10 speed yet, can't see a real advantage. And the chains seem quite expensive. No doubt I'll get rail roaded into 10 speed in the future but I won't go quietly...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and if you are not changing the rings all you are doing is getting a bigger granny ring and slightly closer ratios.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:

This. I'm not sold on 10 speed yet, can't see a real advantage. And the chains seem quite expensive. No doubt I'll get rail roaded into 10 speed in the future but I won't go quietly...
    People probably said that about 9 speed, yet 8 speed is still perfectly capable of being run today, and the spares are much cheaper.

I have 10speed as stock on my bike and can't say it's any different at all to my old 9 speed bike. The components are better to start with so that's likely where the better shifting comes from, and i rarely need to use the 36t on the rear.

Stick with 9 speed till you can no longer buy 9 speed components!
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    ^^^ potato

Ive got basically a full xt/xtr setup for my bike for less than a hundred sovs! All 3x9 and cheap as chipolata's Like others have said 10 speed is just too overpriced at the min and only does the same job as a 9 speed anyhoo. and its gonna be no better at it, especially if youve got top of the line kit to start with!

Just out of interest what do you have fitted now??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    edited June 2012
    ///
  • ant1901
    ant1901 Posts: 646
    sorry all for late reply i was running single speed now 1x10 all good thanks