hillingdon car break ins

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited June 2012 in Amateur race
Just to let anyone who races or plans to race at Hillingon, do not park on the inner gate area, only park in the sports centre car park where there is cctv.
I parked close to the club house and had my car broken in by gang of twats in a bmw. Another car alos done close to mine, also two weeks ago.
These are organised, I rekon one or two guys stake out the cars arriving to see if anything on view and easy to get then when the race starts the car comes in and smash into the cars.
They are pretty thick thieves as They nicked two phones from compartment in my car which have now both had sim and phone locked so only use is as a door stop!! they missed my clothes with wallet and money in, and new camera on back seat !!
To cap it all I was going well in race and punctured 4 laps from the end !!

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    It's at times like this I wish I had a sniper's rifle.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I have stopped going to the Hillingdon circuit when I was lapidated with baking potatoes sized stones by local youths a couple of years ago in full daylight. Local wannabe a ASBO gangsters with pitbulls normally patrol the area too.
    When I stopped a policeman to let him know what happened, he didn't seem to give a fxxk about the incident. It's a real shame that such a nice facility is in such a horrible neighbourhood
    left the forum March 2023
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    London...shithole.
  • ugo.santalucia
    DavidJB wrote:
    London...shithole.

The area between Hillingdon and Hayes is no man's land... but then you move to Southall and you get the best curry in the country, I will never praise Madhus enough for their Tandoori grills and chollay... :D
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    DavidJB wrote:
    London...shithole.

I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Tom Dean wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    London...shithole.

I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated.

I visit for day trips and nights out! Then I go back to the country yarrrrr :twisted: I lived in Slough for 17 years...just as bad as Hillingdon and Hayes...never again!
  • Kona21
    Kona21 Posts: 107
    I went on Saturday in our teams car. We parked just outside the gate and the car behind us was broken into (may have been the OP's car)
    We stupidly left everything in our car, wheels, sat nav, clothes, spares etc.. but for some reason they didn't touch it :?:
    Opera Super Leonardo
    Campag Super Record 11
    Corima Aero + wheels
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12777242
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    edited June 2012
    DavidJB wrote:
    London...shithole.

The area between Hillingdon and Hayes is no man's land... but then you move to Southall and you get the best curry in the country, I will never praise Madhus enough for their Tandoori grills and chollay... :D

But yes, I'd rather it was in somewhere more pleasant, I mean, a cycling facility in an almost totally Asian area, what a complete waste of time given the typical cycling demographic, I could count the number of Asian cyclists I've raced against there on 1 hand. It would be like putting a Polo club in Canning Town. Exceptions of course exist, but on the whole it does seem like a strange match.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Tom Dean
    edited June 2012
    :shock:double post
  • Tom Dean
    okgo wrote:
    But yes, I'd rather it was in somewhere more pleasant, I mean, a cycling facility in an almost totally Asian area, what a complete waste of time, I could count the number of Asian cyclists I've raced against there on 1 hand. It would be like putting a Polo club in Canning Town. Exceptions of course exist, but on the whole it does seem like a strange match.
    :shock:
  • okgo
    Are you pretending to be offended by blatant facts? Great, I love people that.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Tom Dean
    It was the way you contrasted 'pleasant' and 'Asian' that surprised me.

edit: and the implication that the crime rate is somehow related to the ethnic make up of the area.
  • okgo
    Ah I see, its not unpleasant because its Asian, if that's what you mean, its unpleasant because a lot of the area surrounding it isn't particularly nice, and that along with poor schools etc etc breeds lovely children who like to steal and chuck rocks at cyclists! For that reason I would rather it was somewhere more pleasant!
  • Tom Dean
    That is how your post reads IMO. If it's not what you meant, fair enough, although I'm not sure what race has to do with anything.

I ride at Hog Hill every week and have no idea how many riders are from the immediate neighbourhood. I (like you) have no way of knowing where someone is from just by looking at them.
  • it's pretty easy to figure out, cost of land in good areas = high, cost of land in sh*t holes = low. so where else are we going to fit the facilities. All we can hope is the exorbitant taxes paid for in the former is spent on ruthlessly policing the latter so the residents can't even breath, yet alone move. Sadly they're given free reign.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • okgo
    It has everything to do with it, I'm having a little look for demographic info in cycling, I've found a few US studies, and the Asian community, its fair to say, are not big cyclists, and it only takes someone to ride around with their eyes open to realize the UK scene isn't much different. That is why its a little strange that a cycling center is there. To avoid confusion, Canning Town is another total hole full of people that probably have little interest in a sport as obviously and historically elitist as Polo. :roll:

If you insist on searching out something to be offended by, then great, the internet is full of people like that who feel they need to be offended on others behalf, but given the area is know as "little India" its fair to assume the majority of people that use Hillingdon are not from the immediate area. I mean not to offend, just a genuine observation.

As you were.
  • Tom Dean
    Cycling is a minority sport in this country, I'm sure at any given race the vast majority of the riders will be from outside the immediate area. I'm not sure why you think race is relevant to this.

There certainly are some asian riders racing in London, For what it's worth. Maybe some of the non-asian locals are racing at Hillingdon and you haven't noticed.

Whatever you think about the location of race circuits, I responded because you seemed to be suggesting that the recent car break-ins were related to the ethnicity of the locals.

I know where Canning Town is.

I wasn't searching for something to be offended by, I posted on this thread before you did.

edited for typos
  • okgo
    Well that's not how I meant it to come across apologies.

I wasn't trying to actually connect the two things. The area is crap was one point, and that the center is where it is was the other, not connected or racially driven.
  • Once had an egg thrown at me when cycling over to Hillingdon. It caught one of my cranks.

Do they not have lockers in the new clubhouse? I remember asking this once at the sign-in just after it had opened and was greeted with blank looks.
  • okgo
    They do yes. £2 refundable deposit most of the time.

But they're not huge.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I've never been asked for a £2.00 deposit for a locker key.

A cycle racing facility in a predominantly Asian area? This must explain why Hillingon circuit has turned out to be such a white elephant, underused, unwanted, unloved. Hardly any races there, and very few riders :roll:
  • okgo
    I have. But everyone is quite trusting and leaves stuff everywhere. Maybe not the best bet. It would be easy for bikes to go missing from those racks.
  • ugo.santalucia
    To be honest I feel very safe cycling around Southall and very unsafe cycling at the hillingdon circuit. The youths who attacked me with stones were not Asian. One was white, the other black...

So there
  • okgo
    I don't feel that safe cycling around there, the standard of driving is terrible. And pedestrians seem intent on walking into the road regardless of what's coming.

This has been noted by lots of people I've ridden up with.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Maybe siting the circuit in an area with a different ethnic bias to those already in the sport is actually a good thing, in that it may attract new people from different backgrounds to cycling. Certainly, Hillingdon Slipstreamers seem to attract members from a wider cross-section of the UK population than cycling in general.

Some may see Hillingdon solely as a racing circuit, but it's actually used by quite a few entry-level clubs and groups too...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • To be honest I feel very safe cycling around Southall and very unsafe cycling at the hillingdon circuit. The youths who attacked me with stones were not Asian. One was white, the other black...

So there

Try racing at Hetton up here, frequently have trollies pushed into the oncoming bunch by the locals.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • oldwelshman
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Cycling is a minority sport in this country, I'm sure at any given race the vast majority of the riders will be from outside the immediate area. I'm not sure why you think race is relevant to this.

There certainly are some asian riders racing in London, For what it's worth. Maybe some of the non-asian locals are racing at Hillingdon and you haven't noticed.

Whatever you think about the location of race circuits, I responded because you seemed to be suggesting that the recent car break-ins were related to the ethnicity of the locals.

I know where Canning Town is.

I wasn't searching for something to be offended by, I posted on this thread before you did.

edited for typos
    Just to let you know, before the race, there were several asians roaming round the entry area, now I see why, staking out the cars as we arrive. Then black bmw with 4 asians in break into two cars, related to ethnecity? looks like.
  • okgo
    More cara done yesterday apparently. Be careful!
  • Tom Dean
    related to ethnecity? looks like.

No it doesn't.
  • oldwelshman
    Tom Dean wrote:
    related to ethnecity? looks like.

No it doesn't.
    ok it doesnt, they were 4 white welsh guys who disguised themselves as asian chavs who then stole a black bmw to rob my car