The beginners guide to chinese carbon wheels

Comments

• oscar24570
    oscar24570 Posts: 31
    BBH wrote:
    Mine r on their way now, hopefully tomorrow or Friday
    Customs in uk on 13th and released on 22nd late evening and have been charged import vat
    Think they r slow with Olympics etc... Did u order from carbonzone???
    If urs look like they r processed twice it means u will pay import duty
    Yes i ordered from carbonzone,only showing awaiting customs clearance as yet so hopefully no charges.
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    OK review time.

I have managed to get 2 rides under the belt. The 1st ride was a 20 miler to make sure that they were safe, and the 2nd was a group 50 miler.

Well, they are simply just a fantastic purchase! The hubs roll very fast something that I noticed big time on our Coal Pitt Lane descent. The brakes feel progressive against the carbon and did not feel 'grabby'. They did not squeal until I used them in anger on some descents but the rims did not get hot.

Now for where they pay off; I spent nearly 80% of the ride at the front. Normally we ride through and off however I was on fire. Now this could be down to me, but it is more likely the wheel set.

They are also very good at climbing, making my usual lumps seem easier to ascend. Admittedly this may have been due to my brand new Look Keo Blades which were so stiff when on the pedals. However they are very stiff with no rubbing on the brakes [I run them very close] with some decent power applied.

I had a decent amount of wind to test the crosswinds and they definitely catch, however nothing I couldn't handle.

They attract a lot of attention [if your into that kind of thing].

All in all one of the best upgrades I have purchased. Hell I might even buy another set to alternate with 60mm.

Oh and the 'whoosh' noise is fantastic at 30mph+
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    oscar24570 wrote:
    BBH wrote:
    Customs in uk on 13th and released on 22nd late evening and have been charged import vat
    Yes i ordered from carbonzone,only showing awaiting customs clearance as yet so hopefully no charges.

Any news on your wheels yet??
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Just a quicky to say I'm selling a set of chinese clinchers here, they're great, if I had the luxury of a 2nd set of wheels they'd be keepers! viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12856532
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I've just ordered some 88mm for a new TT bike I'm building, I looked at all the others and carbonwheels2011 came up with the lightest http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280879366760

I'm in negotiation with them for a pair of 50mm Clinchers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280878137801 because at approx. 1517g they are really quite light, not as light as my Tubular Campag Boras but for clinchers they are silly light.

I fancied the matt finish in black, so will design some subdued stickers for them as well.

Comms has been good and they promise to send via EMS as well. 8)
  • oscar24570
    oscar24570 Posts: 31
    BBH wrote:
    oscar24570 wrote:
    BBH wrote:

Any news on your wheels yet??
    Yes they are at my local parcelforce depot,I have to pay import duty to get them delivered.I am awaiting a letter asking me to pay it and what the duty is.Hopefully I will get them by the end of the week.What about you, have yours arrived yet?
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Yes mate, got them, lovely wheels really sexy on the best bike and ride well.

If you ring parcel force they will give you your code and you can pay via their website and the wheels will be delivered next day. I was charged 7 import duty and 13.50 fee, so not too bad I suppose. However, it appears that carboonzone are now being targeted by customs for fees so I may look elsewhere for 88's for a future TT bike build??
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • christurbo
    mroli wrote:
    With carbon clinchers, the heat from braking does not dissipate as well as it does on Al rimmed clincher wheels. Therefore if you are using them on long alpine descents, unless you are judicious in your use of your brakes (ie alternate front/rear wheel braking, giving them time to cool down), you MAY run the risk of overheating the rims and blowing the inner tube.

For that reason, I would be tempted to use Al rimmed wheels on an Etape stage...

Is this technique for braking when ascending effective?

I usually use both at the same time however i will give this a go!
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I gave the alternative braking technique ago the other day on the Tour of the Peaks. Got to say it worked fine, was a little slower downhill that some chaps on AL rims, but made up for it on the climbs and flats!
  • Hi

Has anyone tried ordering direct from alibaba? Just seen these

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/103713/ ... 1311g.html

Listed as super-light at 1311g compared to the 1600ish most people seem to be weighing theirs as, new technology or lies??

Also Basalt braking surface seems to be a new addition.
  • andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    I ordered mine direct through their web site just search for Xiamen far sports. I got tubulars they took 2 weeks to ship post payment but once shipped were delivered in 5 days.

You can choose finish, hub type,spokes, colour. They were a little slow to respond initially but persevere and ultimately im chuffed!

They are also stockists of Sapim CX ray spokes which add to the cost but they are the best

I got the ultra light set for $600 approx shipped, weight is 1202g measured w/o skewers + tyre. (Matte coating, bitex hub, sapim cx ray spokes, basalt surface, skewers and pads included)

As i didnt get clinchers so cannot comment on them but the company is real.

You need to email them for prices asking for a sample.

However if you want tubs the planet x have R50's for sale at £349 at the mo. Almost as good and from a UK store.

Andy
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • Hmmm,

Looks like I'll be getting some new wheels then.....

Thanks! :mrgreen:
  • Wazza1878
    Wazza1878 Posts: 59
    andysol wrote:
    I ordered mine direct through their web site just search for Xiamen far sports. I got tubulars they took 2 weeks to ship post payment but once shipped were delivered in 5 days.

You can choose finish, hub type,spokes, colour. They were a little slow to respond initially but persevere and ultimately im chuffed!

They are also stockists of Sapim CX ray spokes which add to the cost but they are the best

I got the ultra light set for $600 approx shipped, weight is 1202g measured w/o skewers + tyre. (Matte coating, bitex hub, sapim cx ray spokes, basalt surface, skewers and pads included)

As i didnt get clinchers so cannot comment on them but the company is real.

You need to email them for prices asking for a sample.

However if you want tubs the planet x have R50's for sale at £349 at the mo. Almost as good and from a UK store.

Andy
    Alright Andy, i'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to wheels, but having read this thread extensively, has anyone said why these chinese one's are better than the one's on offer at Planet X at the mo, for £349?
    i just wondered, takes all the hassle out of ordering from abroad etc.
    Wazza
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    They probably aren't any better. But they can be had in clincher format from China whereas Planet X only sell tubular format.

Planet X also seem to not supply a Campag option or a finish option.

However Planet X are a good option. They're not always £350 though.
  • Wazza1878
    Wazza1878 Posts: 59
    True, i'm after a set of tubulars for my Bianchi Via Nirone, think a set of 50mm are too much though, i like the look of the 38mm wheelset from China, now most people have had a positive experience....
    Wazza
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Currently gathering parts for a 38mm carbon tubular wheelset.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12752894

Should be easily under 1200g.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Wazza1878 wrote:
    True, i'm after a set of tubulars for my Bianchi Via Nirone, think a set of 50mm are too much though, i like the look of the 38mm wheelset from China, now most people have had a positive experience....

I've got the same bike, yet I'm still drawn to the 50mm ones... :D
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    I bought a set of 38mm clinchers from http://www.yishunbike.com/ last year and love them. I have entered the Etape act1 next month and wondered does anyone have any experience long descents?
  • So very close to pulling the trigger on some 38mm from eBay. It's actually giving me a headache trying to decide
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    I got some 50mm clinchers from Xiamen. Weight was sub 1300g the pair (w/o skewers etc). Build was sapim cx-ray spokes with hubsmith hubs (IIRC). Been ridden on some really nasty roads - first with care, but more lately without another thought. No issues whatsoever in terms of trueness or anything. Only issue is that fitting the tyres was a bit of a pain as they are so tight. Delivery was very quick - ordered/paid Monday and had wheels by following Monday with no customs etc. As I'm on campag and didn't want tubs PX wasn't an option
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    That is good to know - how much where they?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Admittedly I didn't go through all the 18 pages of the thread, but for those who paid VAT and customs duty, I assume the VAT is 20%, but how much is the customs duty for cycling products? the HMRC website is a jungle...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Px do have carbon clinchers. Just not at sale prices at the moment.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Fogliettaz wrote:
    I bought a set of 38mm clinchers from http://www.yishunbike.com/ last year and love them. I have entered the Etape act1 next month and wondered does anyone have any experience long descents?

Similar situation, but doing act 2, and have 50mm's.

I recently did tour of the peak on them (100 miles, 11,000ft of climbing (and downs)) and they were brilliant. Obviously different from Alpine descents but still a good test.

I'll probably take them, and a spare set of Aksiums, and make a decision when i'm there. Probable is they are so much better than my Aksiums, in terms of stiffness and lightness!
  • davep123
    davep123 Posts: 80
    V tempted by this rear. Has anyone bought from carbon-goods? Novatec hubs ok? Has anyone been running these Chinese wheels for a year yet? Have Ksyrium SL on the front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280844167857? ... 1438.l2648

Any advice welcome.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    davep123 wrote:
    V tempted by this rear. Has anyone bought from carbon-goods? Novatec hubs ok? Has anyone been running these Chinese wheels for a year yet? Have Ksyrium SL on the front.

Any advice welcome.

Novatec hubs are ok... I have built about twenty sets with them. Bearings are standard sizes and free hubs can be sourced if needed
    left the forum March 2023
  • davep123 wrote:

Any advice welcome.

Novatec hubs are ok... I have built about twenty sets with them. Bearings are standard sizes and free hubs can be sourced if needed
    I was thinking the same thing about the novatec hubs but I had a google and the general concensus seemed to be good, so I just ordered myself a set of 38mm's.
    Now I just need to order some new tyres and cassette without the mrs kicking up a fuss :oops:
  • davep123
    davep123 Posts: 80
    Done! Ordered black hubs and spokes. Can't wait!!
  • christurbo
    Well I will give an update one mine, I have done a few races and done maybe around 300 miles on them.
    They are still true, with no marks, once wiped over they look brand new.

Braking one large decants needs some technique for alternating front to rear to keep the heat down, however I have not experienced any issues [probably because I adopted the above technique from day one].

One problem now is that I am always at the front of my training chain gang due to my pace! Haha.
  • xixang wrote:
    I got some 50mm clinchers from Xiamen. Weight was sub 1300g the pair (w/o skewers etc). Build was sapim cx-ray spokes with hubsmith hubs (IIRC). Been ridden on some really nasty roads - first with care, but more lately without another thought. No issues whatsoever in terms of trueness or anything. Only issue is that fitting the tyres was a bit of a pain as they are so tight. Delivery was very quick - ordered/paid Monday and had wheels by following Monday with no customs etc. As I'm on campag and didn't want tubs PX wasn't an option

Link?