Advice on what bike

scopes15
scopes15 Posts: 84
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm new to mountain biking having been to Glentress and doing the red route on a hired bike and after having loads of fun looking to purchase but not sure what to go for:

I've seen a few bikes that I fancy but I don't know whether to but 2nd hand or brand new.

I've seen a Genesis Latitute for £450 2nd hand here: viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12859018

An Orange G2 New unused here: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1096414/

And I quite like the look of the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1

I don't really know much about the differences in the the spec but I would like a lockout for climbing - can anyone give any advice on these bikes?

Thanks again

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Latitude looks the best bet if in good condition and it fits - the G2 is not worth that.

The RR8.1 cannot be faulted as a new buy, but the Genesis with its longer fork and slacker angles may suit you better for harder riding.
  • scopes15
    Thanks,

Waiting on the guy getting back to me about the size of the Genesis but I need to go and have a look at it. Depending on the condition etc I suppose I may be best with the RR8.1 for after sales and services etc.
  • What bike have you been hiring ? Are you comfortable on it ?

Sometimes its better the devil you know if its within budget - also don't dismiss buying the hire bike, centres often sell bikes off so might be worth asking. They tend to be well maintained at the bigger centres too, being checked over every time it comes in after a ride.
  • scopes15
    To be honest I can't remember what bike it was! I got it from the hub at Glentress so might check out their website.

Thanks
  • Without knowing which bike(s) you have hired and how you felt abotu them its difficult to make recommendations.

Also trail centre bikes are likely to be fitted with tyres that work well on those trails in typical conditions, not necessarily the ones that the factory supplied. All small details, but they all add to the feel of the bike - there's a lot to be said for the "devil you know" !