Cannock Chase in the Evenings

Asif Tufal
Asif Tufal Posts: 109
edited June 2012 in Routes
Is access allowed in the evenings, for car parking and riding the red routes, or are the gates locked at a particular time? I've been during the daytime but family committments may mean I'll have to ride late in the evenings.

Comments

• Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I was told by the lads in the bike shop there, that gates are open from dawn till dusk so say about 20:30.....
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Asif Tufal
    Thanks for that Adotparker. Has anyone ridden FTD in the dark during winter? I'm also thinking ahead.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Yep I believe Birches Valley is dawn till dusk - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/fore ... NFD-8PZFRU
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Plenty of other places to park, down near the railway lines, up near the caravan park, ride it any hour of the day.
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I've rode it during Winter season......... have to take it easier than you would on the last two downhill sections on FTD ....... and obviously the wooden ramped areas .. but slip some 2.5 rubber on, and it'll be OK :)
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Asif Tufal
    Brilliant! Thanks everyone for answering my query.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Asif Tufal wrote:
    Has anyone ridden FTD in the dark during winter?
    obv :)

it is quite entertaining but even more entertaining when ridden in the opposite direction

As above the popular out-of-hours parking is up at the top along Marquis Drive (near to section 12). The area across from the railway line near the pumping station is where the pikeys from Rugeley and Hednesford practice breaking into cars it is safer to park in the layby a little further along the main road.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Most of my off roading this year has been late at night/early mornings round the dog in the winter. It's a bit weird, very quiet especially if you go solo. If you've got an overactive imagination like me you get some speed up!! Marquis drive is quite busy in the evenings, even in winter, mainly chavs smoking weed but at least there's someone there other than theives.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    The birches valley car park closes at 9pm in the spring / summer. Not sure about winter.

I also park on marquis drive in the evenings, there's always been plenty of space when I've been. I went on a sunday though and it was very busy there, but still got to park on the grass verge on the main road.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Birches valley closes at 4.30 during the winter I believe.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Angry Bird wrote:

Ish... 5pm according to the link I posted above :-)
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    waby1234 wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:

Ish... 5pm according to the link I posted above :-)

Close enough :lol:
  • Asif Tufal
    I really appreciate the advice about where NOT to park after the main car park has closed. Ta!