Forest of Dean

Superowl17
Superowl17 Posts: 60
edited June 2012 in Routes
Hi

Off to FOD on Sunday. First time to try the DH tracks

Given all the rain plus more to come, how do the trails ride in the extreme wet?

Any advice great...
superowl17..**

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No idea about the downhill.

All the other trails were fine as they decided in their wisdom to build most of the bits that get muddy into rocky and dumpy throw you off the saddle trails, which is no fun bouncing all over the place.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I've ridden the DH trails in absolutely torrential rain and it was ok. I mean muddy and slidey - but generally ok! I do take things easy though and am rather cautious on DH trails :?

Just go with good tyres, be prepared to get VERY muddy and go for the odd slide off the trail :lol:

Edited to add - if you do go sliding off the edge of the trail (as I did :lol: ) you'll probably just end up in a load of mud and sticks, not like other trails when you'll actually slide over the edge of something :shock: In that respect I would rather ride FOD in the rain than some other venues!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    No idea about the downhill.

All the other trails were fine as they decided in their wisdom to build most of the bits that get muddy into rocky and dumpy throw you off the saddle trails, which is no fun bouncing all over the place.

when did you ride it last? i rode it last thrursday and the trails were soaking in places!!! :?
  • Superowl17
    Superowl17 Posts: 60
    Ok thank, as long as its rideable that ok......
    superowl17..**
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    I've ridden the DH trails in absolutely torrential rain and it was ok. I mean muddy and slidey - but generally ok! I do take things easy though and am rather cautious on DH trails

Just go with good tyres, be prepared to get VERY muddy and go for the odd slide off the trail

+1 and roots can be slippy. Hit it hard and fast and you will have a great time. You doing up lift?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Roots, lots of roots, then a few more roots, watch out for them, anyway other than the wet slippery off camber roots it doesn't seem to get much affected by wet (did I mention the roots btw? :) )

The DH area seemed to have drained quite well 10 days or so back, despite the rain, the benefits of being on a 45 deg slope I guess. A few bombholes get waterlogged, but nothing major.