which hydration pack

stuartc1470
stuartc1470 Posts: 10
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I am looking fir a new hydration pack as I am returning to mountain biking after a few years away. I had a camelback mule previously and would want a similar size again. Are they still the one to go for or do other makes offer a better pack.
Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what size, as Camelbak make a lot. What water/storage capacity do you want?
  • I want one the about the same as the Mule, mainly for riding trails and with around 3 Lts water capacity and a guess around 15 lts carrying capacity.
    Cheers
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    My mule with 3litre bladder is spot on
  • I visited the 'Mountain Warehouse' in Cardiff the other day (think they are online too).

Bought their own brand 16litre bag in black with a 2litre hydration pouch. Got the bag & pouch for £20 and got a free hydration pouch for my troubles. The bag itself is quality and really fits tight to your back. Hydration pouch is really good too save for the odd (and I mean odd) drip now and then.
  • I had a camelbak but switched to a Dakine, better storage, and the bladder is much easier to clean and fill.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • mountaingoatimnot
    mountaingoatimnot Posts: 185
    edited June 2012
    I nearly opted for the mountain warehouse route too, but in the end the £8 one from Tesco won my business. Used it a few times and even with my son stealing (additional) drink from it we still didn't use more than 0.5litres of fluid during 2hrs riding.

3 litres is a lot of fluid to be carrying
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Used it a few times and even with my son stealing a drink from it we still didn't use more than 0.5litres of fluid during 2hrs riding.

You should be drinking more.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    has anyone used the lowe alpine bags??doesnt have a bladder but at 30quid it looks the part as i have 3 bladders to use anyway...
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-edge-18-p203612
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I had a camelbak but switched to a Dakine, better storage, and the bladder is much easier to clean and fill.

Ditto. Went from the Mule to the Dakine Nomad. Bladder is MUCH easier to fill, empty, clean, better bite valve, pack is way better organised with fully opening pockets (not just a zip that you have to put your hand through to rummage around for stuff) and plenty of secure storage in each section for phone, keys, wallet etc. Good helmet carrier as well. Generally some good deals around on them.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    going for the Camelbak Consigliere (which looks like it's been discontinued) Merlin have got it for £40 which seems a good price..but only in white/pink :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ...also when the capacity is quoted for these packs is that without the bladder?

The Consigliere is quoted as an 8L pack - is that total pack capacity?

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Couldn't answer that for Camelbak but Dakine is quoted separately. So the Nomad is 3l of hydration and 18l (I seem to remember) of pack.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • MonkFunk
    MonkFunk Posts: 91
    I recently got this Dakine and have been very impressed with it. Good size, bladder is excellent.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dak ... k-ec026690
  • felix.london
    going for the Camelbak Consigliere (which looks like it's been discontinued) Merlin have got it for £40 which seems a good price..but only in white/pink :?

Found a Consigliere on German eBay in a much more manly red, white & blue!..(although, still slightly gay 'round the edges :wink: )

camelbakconsiglieremethylo.jpg

...£43 delivered but without a resevoir which suites me as I'd prefer a 1.5L than the 2L that comes with that model. Although with an Antidote Resevoir that will bump up total price to about £66 if I'm lucky :|

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks for the advise and help, I have ordered the Dakine that MonkFunk sent the link to :D it ticks all the boxes and is a great price.
    Cheers
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    + 1 for the Dakines... I have one.. I prefer the hydration system to camel baks... My camel back lid thing seizes shut and is a nightmare to undo to refill on long rides... The dakine is perfect.. Really well thought out design ( cant remember what the model of mine is ) But it's in Rasta colours and looks the nuts and works incredibly well... I've used it for 8.5 hours on the bikein one go and it accommodated everything I needed without a hitch,,,
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838