Have Strava got some competition?

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,926
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just seen this regarding MapMyRide's push to provide a Strava-like offering.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/mapmyride-aims-for-stravas-kom_223318

I used to use MapMyRide to plan rides in the past but haven't looked there much lately. I do use Strava but I'll have a look at the MapMyRide site and see what it's like. Anyone tried the new KOM stuff?
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Strava has managed to tap into the social community aspects of segments pretty fast which is probably the most difficult thing to do so it will be difficult for other sites to recreate that.

However apart from segments the rest of their site is pretty poor, i'd never use it to plan a ride or find new ones.
  • I use ridewithgps.com to map my rides and they have also started a Strava like segments addition to their system but to be honest it is nowhere near as good as Strava.

I have to agree with Omar Little, I think they have the Segments spot on but I do feel it would be better if I could use it to map rides aswell so I don't have to use 2 separate websites.
    :D
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I use ridewithgps.com to map my rides and they have also started a Strava like segments addition to their system but to be honest it is nowhere near as good as Strava.

I have to agree with Omar Little, I think they have the Segments spot on but I do feel it would be better if I could use it to map rides aswell so I don't have to use 2 separate websites.

Pretty much the same as you.
    btw, I just came across this website....

http://raceshape.com/

Looks like a useful little tool to compare your segment performance to others... where you gained or lost time.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    One of the key problems MMR will face is that their power usage on smartphones has historically been far in excess of that used by Strava, it is for that reason that I initially ditched MMR for Endomondo before then becoming familiar with the drug that is the Strava segment.

The segment offering and more importantly following that Strava has probably means that they have the effective 'centre of mass' for developing the segment based app. What remains to be seen is how or indeed if they wish to integrate route planning into their web offering or do they see the segment functionality as their USP and hence seek to reinforce that as core business.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo