Change Groupset

uphillstruggle
uphillstruggle Posts: 90
edited June 2012 in The workshop
Am considering updating my current SRAM rival groupset on my Boardman Team Carbon. Have seen full Shimano 105 groupset for around £400 which I would consider to be good value to get my bike back to feeling like new.

Is it as easy as swapping and fitting or will some of the 105 not be compatible?

Anyone also have any guidance of likely LBS prices for such an overhaul?

Thanks

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The Shimano derailleurs will not work with the SRAM shifters. Aside from that, shouldn't be any issues.

In what way does you bike no longer 'feel like new', if you don't mind me asking?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The bike has done several thousand miles over the last two years. I've had it regularly serviced etc and the odd component changed but with LEJOG coming up later in the year for peace of mind and rather than get a new bike I was thinking that changing what must by now be worn parts would be the way to go.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If it's been regularly serviced then I think you're worrying for no reason. Look at it this way; LEJOG is only worth a couple of months' riding distance to many enthusiasts. If you don't think your bike is likely to fail in the next couple of months, why would it fail over the course of an end-to-end?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Agree. If the bike's been looked after, then a change of groupset won't make any meaningful difference.

Enjoy your current bike and replace parts as they wear out.

There are complications making big changes like whole groupsets - i.e some derailleurs have different clamps/pull to that which the bike may be designed for.
  • Thanks for the advice.Much appreciated.

I shall save my money as suggested.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    If you want it to fell all spangly bangly new, get new cables inners and outers (decent ones) fitted, new brake pads, if you're feeling flash then a new chain and cassette and tyres, then give it a really, really good clean, pop the seat off, seat post off, pedals out, etc etc and grease everything up nicely before re-assembling with a torque wrench.

You'll jump back on it'll feel wonderful.

Little things like new bar tape will also make a world of difference.