Broken Chain

dezzie30
dezzie30 Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in The workshop
I'm a beginner when it comes to bikes so bear with me! I recently took my bike in to repair due to a pedal falling off it seems i had cross threaded the arm when i installed it. I had to have a new chain set and pedals (60 pound!) when I rode the bike to work from the repair shop the chain snapped after a mile's ride! Now the bike is new (done about 10 miles) does the fault lie with the repair shop when they put the new chain set on? I'm taking it back tomorrow and don't want to pay if it's their fault. My bike is a Rockrider 5.0.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The chain should last longer than that. It is not your fault.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've had this happen after breaking and refitting the chain for cleaning or maintenance. So chances are they messed up refitting your chain. Once it happened on my first commute on my first day of a new job and I begged a bike shop on route to sort me out, they did and I bought the tool for the job there and then! It's always it the saddle bag as you never know when you'll need it.

It's a five minute job to get it back on with a decent chain tool. Any half decent shop will do it for nothing but take the opportunity to watch what they do so you can do it your self next time.

I think BR did a video guide on it recently.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... ain-33955/

I've been using this since I broke my last one and have found it better than any other chain tool I've tried:

park-ct5-compact-chain-brute.jpg

I've tried both SRAM and Shimano easy fit links but prefer to do it properly.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dezzie30
    dezzie30 Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply I took it back and they did it for free for me (but didnt take responsibility for it!). I will have a look at the chain tool is there a multi tool with everything i need?
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    The Topeak "Alien II" multi tool has this on it as well as spanners/allen key/knife/tyre levers

Its about the size of 2 boxes of matches stuck together.

Might be worth a look.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have various multi tools but still carry one of those - they just work better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Most snapped chains are due to faulty installation. Sounds like the LBS did a slopp job of installing it
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Most snapped chains are due to faulty installation. Sounds like the LBS did a slopp job of installing it
    :oops: no really, that's why mine keeps going!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Stop slagging off the bike shop - if the OP went in for just a new crankset there'd be no need to remove the chain at all to fit it and his new pedals. I think he's just been unlucky - and the bike shop have been very good in fettling it for him for free. Although the bike is new you do not know without seeing it what state the chain may be in the OP may never have cleaned or lubed it for all you know.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    After 10 miles?

Try reading the OP first.

If my chain snapped after 10 miles or riding I'd be straight back to the bike shop and demanding they fix it, and gratis.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • After nearly 40yrs of cycling, had my first chain break on me yesterday (yeah I know Friday 13th and all that and yes I am slightly superstitious!) but it was a relatively new Shimano HG93 with about 6 weeks use and about a 1k miles of travel on it.

It didn't break at the SRAM quick link but about 100mm away when pulling away from a set of traffic lights (A404/M25 J18 bridge) and before it is suggested that poor installation was to blame I've been working on my own bikes for well over 30yrs and now qualified (from Cycle Systems) as a bike mechanic.

So the question is how long do people expect chains to last and has anyone else had any issue with HG93 chains recently??