Custom Burls Ti

flynn160603
flynn160603 Posts: 476
edited June 2012 in Your road bikes
I thought I would spend some time to share my latest road bike build with the good members of bike radar seeing as the classified section has been so helpful for me raising funds to pay for the build and very helpful in terms of buying components.

I used to ride a Kuota Kebel which I bought used, put about 3500 miles on it in a year and generally enjoyed it, but I hankered after something else, I found the ride punishing on long sportives, the main reason for choosing titanium was to get something built to suit me and after a reutul fit last year we determined that the Kuota was a bit of a compromise on geometry, I spent some money on a new set of forks with a longer steerer which cured a few problems but I still was'nt completely satisfied.

Looked into steel and custom carbon :shock: decided on titanium for a number of reason, anti corrosion, unique ride, the look and weight.....this is going to be a keeper for me so I did my research.....I considered the usual suspects Enigma/Van Nicholas/Litespeed/sabbath etc....but something kept drawing me back to Justin Burls had an initial chat at the beginning of the year and then mulled it over for a few months.....I ended up meeting Justin at Bristol Bespoked and had a good honest chat about my requirements....on reflection the value of the burls was great £995 for a custom made Ti frame !!

Straight after the show I emailed Justin my thoughts and within no time I had a detailed drawing back, spent another week tweaking geometry....once ordered it was with me inside 6 weeks.

Build up has taken a couple of weeks and had its maiden voyage this week.....just a quick blast to set up saddle position and bar height (still not there yet on bar height hence lots of stack poking out of the top), ride is compliant, very plush, irons out alot more road buzz than my old Kuota....nice and stiff, based on my strava times its not affected my performance and after 6 weeks off the road bike....I posted a couple of pr's :D which was cool.

I don't think its lighter than the Kuota but its definatley more comfortable, i'll be upgrading components as soon as my bank balance has recovered...starting with chainset and shifters.

I would without doubt recommend going to Justin for a frame.....you'll need to go to him with an idea of what you want in the first instance, but the customer service and advise was great.....might even treat myself to a matching hardtail next year !! :D

I'll post some better pictures up at some point but for now I just have the one

Pics:
burls2.jpg
burls1.jpg

Frame: Custom Burls Ti, round tubes, curved seat stays, 40mm down tube, 32mm top tube, Titanium decals
Forks: Easton EC90 SL
Bars: Deda RHM 01, 44cm bars black
Stem: Thomson X2 100mm stem, 10 Degree silver
Headset: Hope standard non integrated 1 1/8
Bar Tape: Fizik microtex honey

Front Brake Lever: 2009 Sram force
Front Caliper: Planet X ultra light forged silver
Rear Brake Lever: 2009 Sram force
Rear Caliper: Planet X ultra light forged silver

Shifters: 2009 Sram force
Cables: Unsure
Front Mech: 2011 Sram force braze on
Rear Mech: 2011 Sram force

Seat: San Marco Regal chrome rails in honey
Seat Post: Thomson elite 16mm setback 250mm x 27.2 in silver
Seat Post Clamp: Thomson silver

Cranks: Sram Rival GXP compact
Chainring(s): Standard
Chain: KMC X10SL silver/grey
Cassette: Sram PG 1070
Pedals: Look Classic in grey
Bottom Bracket: Sram team GXP

Front Wheel: Reynolds Solitude (decals removed)
Rim:
Spokes:
Hub:
Tube: Specialized long valve
Tire: schwalbe lugano 23mm black (logo's blacked out)

Back Wheel: Reynolds Solitude (decals removed)
Rim:
Spokes:
Hub:
Tube: Specialized long valve
Tire: schwalbe lugano 23mm black (logo's blacked out)

Accessories: RSP titanium bottle cages, one on silver stem spacers, Garmin edge 500 including cadence sensor

Weight: not weighed it yet, too scared !!

Other info
Tarmac Summer: Burls Custom Ti,
Tarmac Winter: Dolan Preffisio
Mud: 2013 orange five pro, 2012 Cube Ltd Race, 1992 saracen sahara elite

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    inseine wrote:
    Classy !

That's the exact word that popped into my head!

Very nice.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    Smart build, nice bike :)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • flynn160603
    flynn160603 Posts: 476
    thanks folks
    Tarmac Summer: Burls Custom Ti,
    Tarmac Winter: Dolan Preffisio
    Mud: 2013 orange five pro, 2012 Cube Ltd Race, 1992 saracen sahara elite
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Like it. Look forward to better quality photos!
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    thats a stunning looking bike you have there.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Lovely build, I've had my Ti Burls nearly 2 years now and still love it; it's my workhorse bike but a very enjoyable workhorse. I agree with your comments about customer service which was excellent; from agreeing a design to receiving my frame took about 4 weeks.
    Nil Points
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Beautiful in its elegance.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Very, very nice indeed.

Again, elegant and classy are words that come to mind. Enjoy!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Crivens! That is nice looking bicycle. Love the look of the saddle and bar tape.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    The business!!!

I've been drooling at Justin's website for quite a while. I hope I'll be lucky enough to get my hands on one while my legs are still half decent!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • I was going to put up my Planet x ti, but now I've seen your Burls mine will look like a poor relative :(
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    like this alot