New forks

Nelson56
Nelson56 Posts: 79
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ive got standard forks on my bike i think they are either 100mm or 80mm and wanting to upgrade does anyone know what i should upgrade to because i dont know whats the best and what travel i should go up to?
Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12858984

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What are the current forks?
    What is the bike?
    What brake fitting?
    What wheel fitting?
    What steerer size?

How much do you want to spend!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I do love these posts.

"Hi I have a car, I want to upgrade it what should I get?"
  • Nelson56
    nicklouse wrote:
    What are the current forks?
    What is the bike?
    What brake fitting?
    What wheel fitting?
    What steerer size?

How much do you want to spend!

Frame: Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium, fully butted, disc only, 6061 alloy, double ORE down tube, externally relieved head tube, forged dropouts and reinforced disc mount, alloy replaceable derailleur hanger

Fork: SR Suntour XCT, 1pc. alloy lower, 28mm Hi-Ten stanchions, 1-1/8" Hi-Ten steerer, coil/mcu spring with preload adjust, 80mm travel

Front Brake: Tektro Novela mechanical disc brake, dual pad angle adjust, post mount, 160mm rotor
    Rear Brake: Tektro Novela mechanical disc brake, dual pad angle adjust, post mount, 160mm rotor

I wanting to spend at max £300
    Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Specialized Hardrock?
    Rockshox Recon RL gold or Rockshox Reba. 100mm max
  • Nelson56
    Specialized Hardrock?
    Rockshox Recon RL gold or Rockshox Reba. 100mm max

Thanks and why 100mm max?

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    He's asking you a question. Is it the Specialized Hardrock bike you have?

Where did you copy and paste the above frame information from? Show the link.

If it is the Hardrock model then they are designed for 80 - 100mm travel forks (from memory).
  • Nelson56
    Yeah it is a specialized hardrock and the link http://m.evanscycles.com/products/speci ... e-ec030131

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Even a Recon Silver from On One will make a significant difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Nelson56
    Thanks

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a Hardrock Sport disc with 80mm Suntour xct forks. I replaced them with a set of Rockshox Tora SL 100mm forks, they completely transformed the bike.
    The Hardrock is great with a 100mm fork, 120mm would not feel as nice, it would probably feel too slack for a xc hardtail and the bottom bracket would be getting a bit high.
  • Nelson56
    Aw nice and yeah im not going any higher than 100mm and think about getting recon slivers

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Can you stretch to Recon Gold RL?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Nelson56
    I would say so but not sure

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Well, the difference is that you will get a lighter, better damped fork than the Silver TK's. But if not, then even the Silvers aren't bad.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Nelson56
    Yeah okay, thanks so much