Stiff Tyre.

bouncyboy
bouncyboy Posts: 25
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

Basically I have just changed the tyres on my race bike and unfortunately they are as tight as, well a tight thing.
I have burst a few tubes getting them on. It is really annoying as I'm terrified that I will puncture in the field and not be able to get the tyre back on.... I've seen these things that act like forceps and force the tyre onto the rim but I can't remember what they are called, does anyone know?
Bouncy :)

under 16 (A) racer

Comments

• it's called a VAR tool but not sure if they're made now? However a lot of it is down to technique, lots of vids how to fit tyres even tight one, without tools.
  • bouncyboy
    bouncyboy Posts: 25
    Thanks all, I am quite experienced at tyre changes and have done far too many to count from the best tubs to the worst clinchers. However these are exceptional, they are just so tough I've tried everything including hairdryers. if I burst one more inner then I will take great pride in turning the lumps of rubber into some smoke signals.
    Bouncy :)

under 16 (A) racer
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    can't understand how you burst an inner tube while putting on a tyre? Just a little air in to let the tube take shape while fitting the tyre is all I use, once seated then really check the tube is inside the tyre with about 20 psi , check there is no bulging out.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    BouncyBoy wrote:
    Thanks all, I am quite experienced at tyre changes and have done far too many to count from the best tubs to the worst clinchers. However these are exceptional, they are just so tough I've tried everything including hairdryers. if I burst one more inner then I will take great pride in turning the lumps of rubber into some smoke signals.

What are the make and model of the tyres you are trying to fit?