Glentress Seven

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited June 2012 in XC and Enduro
I don't see another thread, anyone else signed up for the GT7? Just a week and a half to go, trails are mostly ready, sun is shining... I'm in as a pair this year (well as half of a pair), looking forward to it, last year was fantastic...
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• I am doing it as a duo too.

I am hoping it will be a laugh, I dont expect to do well.

Did you do it last year?
  • Northwind
    Aye, we placed about 4000th in trios :lol: I had a great day despite the weather- superb route, but also a really good atmosphere, good mix of riders too. Never seen so many Orange Fives in an XC race :wink:

Was just working on a section of the route tonight funnilly enough, we've trail necromancer'd up an ancient forgotten xc link right in the middle of GT's busiest trails, never knew it was there! And the main descent is fantastic.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I'm really looking forward to it. I will just need to keep my energy up inbetween laps and resist the urge to sleep in my van.
  • Northwind
    How'd you get on? We ended up 25th in senior pairs, more or less halfway up, which I'm pretty pleased with. My teammate had to stop after 3 laps with an injured knee so I came in after my 4th having told myself "this is the last lap" all the way round, then ended up going straight back out :shock: Just barely made it back from my 5th before the end.

(last year I did 3 in our trio and I was buckled, so pretty chuffed to get that 5th in...)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • We managed 7 laps between the two of us. I did 4. If we had timed it better we could have managed 8. Not sure of our overall rank yet, will need to check. Pretty sure it will be below you!

I was awestruck at the levels of fitness of some folk. There was people flying up hills probably faster than I go down them!

Will definitely do it next year and try to squeeze 8 laps.
  • Northwind
    Aye, it's crazy isn't it... Some of those guys are still faster after 7 hours than I am right at the start. And it's the willpower too- I followed a soloist around for part of the last lap, he was absolutely ruined but still just kept going. Impressive but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to be able to do that! (I stopped twice on that lap to chat with mates who were marshalling, I don't think that's the done thing at the higher levels :lol: )

But still, I reckon 7 or 8 laps, it's still good going. Yay for us!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Im pretty sure if I wore lots of lycra and didnt ride a big heavy bike I would definitely win. Probably.

I made sure to stop for cake and chat too! The marshals were all really cool, very chatty. The one just before the fireroad shortcut up towards buzzards nest was particularly cheery!
  • Northwind
    Aye, she was fab. She gave me a big vuvuzela fanfare and shouted "TOP PUSHING" as I staggered past :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    I might do this next year, what is the route? (I ride GT all the time so jsut thenaes is fine )
  • Northwind
    The routes were different both years, it's a mix of trail centre stuff and offpiste/old/purposebuild/footpaths. This year climbed using various trail centre bits (including Electric Blue descent and Pennel's Vennel descent run in reverse) and descended on a bit of Magic Mushroom, bits of Zoom or Bust and the Skills Loop, and a load of off-map and footpaths including some purpose-built Trailfairy stuff. It's a really excellent XC race route, only real criticism I have is that it's hard to pass on the descents, but that's just a side effect of having constantly interesting trails to ride instead of motorways.

I would seriously recommend it... I don't really like these things! I had a terrible weekend at 10 Under the Ben and almost swore off endurance racing for life but then last year I got free entry to the Seven because of helping build the trails, and so went along really expecting nothing good. Absolutely loved it...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Northwind wrote:
    I had a terrible weekend at 10 Under the Ben

Was that last year? we did it too, absolutely pissed it down all weekend - pure purgatory! Would like to do the GT7, was too late this year, i'll def have a go next year though, sounds great
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer