Euro 2012 fears...

raymondo60
raymondo60 Posts: 735
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm sure I'm not the only football fan on this forum who has serious concerns about the potential for rascist abuse during Euro 2012. It would be awful if matches were halted or even abondoned because of crowd behaviour. I'm completely against any form of abuse of course and would support any action against it, but I do fear that the tournament could descend into farce, with games being cancelled left right & centre...............
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Be positive and reacquaint yourself with the good times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9p0ExBpqeY
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    I'm sure I'm not the only football fan on this forum who has serious concerns about the potential for rascist abuse during Euro 2012. It would be awful if matches were halted or even abondoned because of crowd behaviour. I'm completely against any form of abuse of course and would support any action against it, but I do fear that the tournament could descend into farce, with games being cancelled left right & centre...............

I hope there will be no abuse of players supporters. However, if there is racist abuse etc during a game I hope the ref hass the b@lls to abandon the game; perhaps if the tourney decended into farce UEFA might think about which nations actually do get awarded these prestigeous competitions.

The Panorama programme the other week highlighted the stupidity of awarding the championships to these nations. The bidding process has to be looked at.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    I think the abuse will happen. No referee will have the balls to stop the game, no players will walk off, the commentators will play it down, UEFA will admit nothing is wrong . The TV companies will still give it wall to wall coverage, the sponsors will still pour money into it even though they know the game is rotten to the core.
    England will not win the tournament.
    I would like to think I will be wrong on all acccounts but fear not.
  • humpyg
    humpyg Posts: 50
    There's already been trouble, fighting and racism.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rakow.html
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Frank the tank
    I think you're right on all accounts. The only likely one which may vary is a player/players may walk off.
    Tail end Charlie

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    Raymondo60 wrote:

I hope there will be no abuse of players supporters. However, if there is racist abuse etc during a game I hope the ref hass the b@lls to abandon the game; perhaps if the tourney decended into farce UEFA might think about which nations actually do get awarded these prestigeous competitions.

Agreed.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I can just imagine England being 4-0 down v the Ukraine and ready to catch the next plane home when some oik decides that starting a bit of racist abuse is the best plan of action to get the game abandoned.

What's the plan when this happens? Match abandoned; result stands? Replay? 3-0 default in favour of the opposition? Etc. Sounds like everyone is making the right noises but the chances of a game being stopped is a bit south of remote.
  • Frank the tank
    CiB wrote:
    I can just imagine England being 4-0 down v the Ukraine and ready to catch the next plane home when some oik decides that starting a bit of racist abuse is the best plan of action to get the game abandoned.

What's the plan when this happens? Match abandoned; result stands? Replay? 3-0 default in favour of the opposition? Etc. Sounds like everyone is making the right noises but the chances of a game being stopped is a bit south of remote.

That would be a job for UEFA to sort out, no sympathy from me. They've backed themselves into a corner, IF the situation you described occured UEFA's headache. If the game is allowed to continue for 90mins with the abuse getting more prolonged/worse a different headache for UEFA.
    Tail end Charlie

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    UEFA is an organisation that in the recent past decided fines of a few thousand euros is sufficient to tackle racism.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... telli.html Gives you real hope doesn't it? I can see this becoming a real issue in the next few weeks.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:

That would be a job for UEFA to sort out, no sympathy from me. They've backed themselves into a corner, IF the situation you described occured UEFA's headache. If the game is allowed to continue for 90mins with the abuse getting more prolonged/worse a different headache for UEFA.
    Thing is they've made it clear to the meathead fans that this is now an option, having the game stopped by an external third party that can't be considered disinterested in having the game stopped where it suits them. Strikes me as a bit of a stupid position to put themselves in, UEFA, if they intend to follow through with this.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    It will happen. Just like you always get some morons shouting out during minute silences and booing each others national anthems.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I think themekon has summed it up perfectly. Of course threats will be made to abandon games, but the morons who spout racial bile won't give a feck about that. The most that will happen is the players may be taken off the pitch for 10 minutes while an announcement is made, maybe the police will go in, crack a few heads and drag out some ringleaders and hope it sends out a message to any other lowlifes who wish to show how backwards they are. I just do not see games being abandoned though, Platini would then have to admit that he and the rest of UEFA have made the wrong choice.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Not to mention the fact that elements within government want to make homosexuality illegal in Ukraine. There have been many attacks by neo nazis. President Viktor Yanukovych remains silent on the issue, refusing to condemn this or state that there will be no move in law to illegalise same sex relations... Whereas racism is restricted to a minority of neo fascists, anti gay sentiment actually runs through the government. Ukraine - a nasty, intolerant place....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I hear that some of the families of England's black players won't be going to the Euros bacause they're worried about all the racist abuse.

Why can't the FA just book John Terry into a different hotel?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I hear that some of the families of England's black players won't be going to the Euros bacause they're worried about all the racist abuse.

Why can't the FA just book John Terry into a different hotel?

:lol:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    My fear is that I will be bored to death by it all. I used to have such a great level of anticpation around the euros and world cup, i used to take time off work just to watch them, host big parties etc.. now i dont even remember who won that last couple without thinking hard and can't name more than a handful of key players.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Guess it's Soccer's cross to bear that being very popular it just attracts the extreme dross to have the light shone on them. They live off the controversy that follows this behaviour, the media is their window to the world, and soccer is just the unfortunate host to these parasites because so many people watch the game. :evil:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    themekon wrote:
    I think the abuse will happen. No referee will have the balls to stop the game, no players will walk off, the commentators will play it down, UEFA will admit nothing is wrong . The TV companies will still give it wall to wall coverage, the sponsors will still pour money into it even though they know the game is rotten to the core.
    England will not win the tournament.
    I would like to think I will be wrong on all acccounts but fear not.
    +1
    UEFA has it's head in the sand/up it's ar$e - you choose. They will do nothing meaningful.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Just chill out and relax.
    Football fans have long since vented their opinions, I can't recall too many games being cancelled in the past because not everyone agreed with each other.
    Get over and enjoy the game.
    You never know there may even be some entertaining games and heaven forbid some people may even enjoy themselves.
    Whatever next??
  • Frank the tank
    Fact is, it's not really a football problem it's a society problem/issue for Poland and Ukraine. These issues have not just raised their heads though, they've been there for many years.

UEFA don't live in a bubble they MUST have been aware of the racist/anti-semetic faction but it's all about sweeteners and money. If it weren't for the effect it would have on individual players I really wish it would blow up in all their money grabbing, greedy faces.
    Tail end Charlie