Camping in the lakes

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited June 2012 in Holidays
Hello,
Off on a mtb trip to the lakes on the 11th and 12th and i need to find a campsite to stay at.

There are 5-6 lads going but alot of places iv looked at don't accept group bookings and are families only.

Any one got any recommendations for sites anywhere near Keswick or Windermere?

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Just say your 3 (or 2.5) couples if they ask :wink:
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    last year during our mull to hull trip, we used the ullswater caravan park, near watermillock.

there was 14 of us with bikes and they were fine. really friendly and the site was clean, well stocked shop, but no nightlife etc. as a challenge, you can climb the kirkstone pass and down the other side to either windermere or ambleside. also, keswick is ridable from there too as its not far from the a66.

http://www.ullswatercaravanpark.co.uk/

if you have transport, try the campsite on walney island at barrow in furness, its 25 miles from windermere but the nightlife in barrow is a lot better, and the campsite should be fine for single sex parties. they will be happy for any custom i would have thought.

as a rule of thumb, as long as you are quiet and respectful, then anywhere would be glad to have you back.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    the nightlife in barrow is a lot better

I cant remember a night out in Barrow thats been alot better than anything.

Walney or Barrow are a bit of a trek out from any riding. Stay somewhere near Bowness Id say. You've got a bit of a night out and some good riding from your campsite. I cant recommend a campsite though sorry.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Most campsites iv checked have a no single sex groups policy but ill try the ullswater one i think if im still stuck tomorrow. Its just a bit annoying its so difficult to find a camp site for a group of 5 23+ year old.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Try here:
    http://www.sykeside.co.uk/index.htm
    Situated near Brothers water on the Kirkstone Pass.It's a bit out of the way but has a pub on the site 8)
    Other wise just book in separately :wink: