Wind and Rain

mattshrops
mattshrops Posts: 1,134
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
I realise I'm supposed to whinge about it, and at the risk of sounding like a relentless optimst. I love the howling wind and rain, I know it makes training hard but it makes me feel alive.

You explain it Lieutenant Dan..
http://youtu.be/8ZH9ebAZouk :D
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    As long as it sticks to its own season, the longest day is only a fortnight away then we're heading for winter and the bad weather again. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    its the wind WITH the rain that makes it worse - one or the other is ok, but I agree its great to ride in.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mattshrops
    It makes life simple in a funny way. You and the elements. Ooh get me all bear grylls.

sunday climbed the local hill,big wet dog by my side(steady cleat- 4 legs) Best coffee i've ever tasted after, drying socks by the open fire.
    8)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Definitely worth going out in the crap weather* just so you can enjoy getting out of it and sorting yourself out :)

*Sometimes :wink:
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    I enjoy the wind and rain combination - I refer to it as "mountain weather". Not too keen on riding the bike in it as I am only a lightweight (ie 60kg) and got blown off last year. Couldn't resist taking the dog out this evening - she enjoyed it just as much as me and it was very quiet.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • naz1
    naz1 Posts: 28
    on this subject i did'nt realise having a light bike could be a struggle riding. got to watch the front as a few bursts of wind allmost sent me off balance. riding aint easy as it look's.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    naz1 wrote:
    on this subject i did'nt realise having a light bike could be a struggle riding. got to watch the front as a few bursts of wind allmost sent me off balance. riding aint easy as it look's.

you need more balast.
    donut anyone...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    As far as I'm concerned, the wind and rain can f*ck off !!! I've got a 60miler around central London starting at midnight on Saturday !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    If it ain't raining, it ain't training!

I love going out in bad weather, on my bike, walking, whatever. Been like it since I was a kid. Though, I do usually have a 'is it safe?' moment before I get ready.

My kids don't bat an eye lid when I suggest playing out in the rain, they just grab their wellies and jackets and start getting excited - brilliant! (Though the usual post walk/play hot chocolate and DVD probably helps too)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    MattC59 wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned, the wind and rain can f*ck off !!! I've got a 60miler around central London starting at midnight on Saturday !!

You'll be fine. Will be dry come Saturday.

(Midnight on Saturday as in Friday night into Saturday morning, right?)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MattC59 wrote:

This is true - the cack forecaster on BBC last night thoughtfully explained that Saturday would be fine (despite the fact that there was a vast expanse of rain across the North and Midlands) but that it would all be over on Sunday (despite the fact that there was no cloud to be seen across the North and Midlands). I do like it when national forecasters show where they live :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    MattC59 wrote:

Nope, midnight as in Saturday night into Sunday morning. Weather is good for Saturday, and it looks like Saturday night is now going to stay clear. I might not need my winter longs and waterproofs after all !! That said, the forcast seems to change by the hour at the moment !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Off to the Pyrenees on Tuesday. Looks like the weather should be decent enough (fingers crossed). I was in Cyprus with the bike 2 weeks ago, so coming back to this weather has been hard to stomach. Spent long enough in the winter training in sh1te weather, the reward is supposed to be lovely summer miles. If July/August are this sh1t then I may have to consider emigrating...
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Bloody wind this morning.

Actually felt good.
  • mattshrops
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Bloody wind this morning.

Actually felt good.

Youre getting it. When you survive a massive gust as you go past a hedge opening you need to get all USofA and shout Woohoo Mudderfudder :D Then try to explain it to the people youre with :oops:

cue manic high pitched laughter into the distance.....
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    i quite enjoy getting blown.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    i quite enjoy getting blown.

Me too, I always pop very quickly though.