Clicking/creaking from the crank

chichee
chichee Posts: 104
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Riding along some canal paths today and noticed a clicking/creaking sound coming from the crank region.

It seems to happen as I peddle down. Initially, it was only on the right peddle (as you are sitting on the bike) but as the ride continued, it started to happen on the left peddle too. Now, the sound only happens if I am peddling down and is more noticeable when I apply more force on the peddle, on its way down.

If I hold up the bike and move the peddles, the noise isn't there. Can anyone shed any light into what is causing this noise?

Tanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Loose cranks/pedals check them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    This sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me on Saturday!!!

Mine was a loose bottom bracket!
  • Gilesw2010
    Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
    same here - I had that problem for a couple of weeks. Turned out to be the bottom bracket, which I've now changed.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    The bottom bracket will be toast.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Loose BB, loose cranks, loose chainrings or loose suspension linkages.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Remove both pedals, grease the threads, and refit them.

Don't try to troubleshoot anything until you have discounted the pedal threads as the cause of the creak.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    what crank is it.? i had this on a shimano slx it just needed nippin up again.. or like mentioned above remove pedals and grease them refit.. if it still there then look at bb..
  • chichee
    Thanks for the responses guys! Really appreciated.

I will give it a go sometime this week, if I get the time to get home early after work.
  • chichee
    Unfortunately, I have not had time to check the bike, nor take it to my LBS.

If the bottom bracket is toast? What replacement will be suitable? I know it is like asking 'How long is a piece of string?', but I really want to sort it out and would rather replace the bottom bracket. Or, is this a waste of money?

Also, if I get a new bottom bracket, do I need a new crank(s)?
  • 386ka
    You need to state model of BB on the bike. No, you won't need new cranks. But, you haven't checked for the problem, right? How do you know that it's the BB?
  • chichee
    386ka wrote:
    You need to state model of BB on the bike. No, you won't need new cranks. But, you haven't checked for the problem, right? How do you know that it's the BB?

At the moment, I don't know what the actual problem is. I am considering taking it to a local LBS and see what they say and go from there?

So, besides checking whether the crank/peddles are loose, what else can I do?
  • 386ka
    Chainring bolts, suspension linkages...
    And, lube the seatpost + tighten the saddle bolts, it too can sometimes click/creak...
  • chichee
    New bottom bracket and chainset and it has solved the problem. I didn't mind paying for it to be sorted. I just didn't want to be stranded out on a ride with a broken/dodgy crank/bottom bracket!

Thank you for all your help!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sheesh, you coughed for a new chainset for just a BB........WHY?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chichee
    Sheesh, you coughed for a new chainset for just a BB........WHY?

The left crank was on the way out. It was becoming loose and had play, going sideways. The price difference between replacing the crank, along with bottom bracket, wasn't huge. And for the sake of a peace of mind, I opted for that.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Have you recently replaced a worn, stretched chain with a new one ? If so it may be that the chainrings are worn.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • chichee
    Have you recently replaced a worn, stretched chain with a new one ? If so it may be that the chainrings are worn.

I replaced it last summer and not ridden the bike as much as I would have liked to. So that may be the problem.