Schwalbe Ultremo ZX

iandennis
iandennis Posts: 238
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Got some of these for xmas, sorry for the stupid question but no direction arrow on them ?

I assume that it doesn't matter which way i fit them and they are not directional ?

Thanks

Ian

:oops:

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    If you put them on the wrong way you'll only be able to go backwards. If that happens, turn them round.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    just make sure they dont say XZ omertlU when you stick them on and you'll be fine...

seriously though, great tyres and no issues on direction.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Bigpikle wrote:
    Oh yes, I forgot the serious bit. I like them too, though did have a little issue of punctures come the Autumn. Awesome tyres for grip & low rolling resistance - I get 2-3000 miles out of ones on the rear.
  • Bigpikle wrote:
    Awesome tyres for grip & low rolling resistance

+1

Didn't fancy leaving these on all winter, as the seem delicate. Got 3 punctures on 4 weeks on the rear, after none in 8 months. Still a quality summer tyre though, very fast....
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    expect to puncture if you ride in the wet.nice feel nice and light in the summer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ride racing tyres on crappy roads in winter and you get what you deserve....lets hope you don't go out with a group and share your 'joy' with others?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • iandennis
    iandennis Posts: 238
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Ride racing tyres on crappy roads in winter and you get what you deserve....lets hope you don't go out with a group and share your 'joy' with others?

I never said I was going to ride in current conditions on these tyres, I have two other bikes to ride during the winter so why would I wreck a decent set of summer tyres.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Monty Dog wrote:

I fitted a set last spring, they did me very nicely throughout the summer, I then bunged them on my winter wheels to "kill" them off before replacing them. Still going strong - 1 puncture and loads of wet, windy, dirty roads ridden :)
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Love them and no fairy issues at all so far
    Peter
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've got a set of these with my new Cube Agree road bike, which won't be seeing the light of day until the spring. I was still wondering whether I should change them for something with better puncture protection, even for spring and summer, as I hate the thought of punctures at any time. I really like the Ultra Gatorskins I have on my Audax bike, but I was wondering if Gatorskins would be too heavy for a light carbon bike?
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    If you want something racy, but a bit tougher, none of the guys whom I ride with who use Continental GP4000S tyres, seem to get punctures until they're fairly worn. Having said that, I rode with a guy today who had Ultremo ZX's on some crap roads and all was fine, but I wouldn't risk it myself! If you want a compromise though where you are really unlikely to puncture, Conti GP4 seasons/Michelin Krylion/Swalbe Durano's are tough, but reasonably racy too.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I rode spring to autumn on Ultremos and covered approx 6300 km in the UK and Europe with no visits from the fairy. Prefer them to the Contis but have the 4 Seasons on now for the winter bike. New set of Ultremos waiting for next spring now.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Whilst I'd say it would be unfair to criticise the tyres if you punctured in them riding over the winter (they are designed as race tyres after all) I also think they're a lot tougher than people might think. I've used various models of Ultremos over the last three winters and only had one puncture (and that was debris going in through the sidewall). My winter bike currently has 23mm ZX HD's on it and they're doing fine (would prefer to run 25's but can't with the cruds).
    Ofc now I've just posted that I'll probably end up puncturing every ride...
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    These are going in the bin when I get home. First day cycling in Portugal got 3 punctures. When got back and started to repair the punctures there were 8 punctures in 1 tube and another 3 in the other. Used all patches done and still there are more punctures, so these tubes ave been binned so only ave 1 good tube left; need to find a Decathalon or I'll be doing circuits of the village. GP4000s are now on order with a large box of new tubes for when I get home.
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    magoo289 wrote:
    First day cycling in Portugal got 3 punctures. When got back and started to repair the punctures there were 8 punctures in 1 tube and another 3 in the other.

I would be looking at your rim tape or the piles of glass you must have been riding through. If you had 8 nips in the tube the tyre would be totally shredded.

:shock:
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    nickellis wrote:
    magoo289 wrote:
    First day cycling in Portugal got 3 punctures. When got back and started to repair the punctures there were 8 punctures in 1 tube and another 3 in the other.

I would be looking at your rim tape or the piles of glass you must have been riding through. If you had 8 nips in the tube the tyre would be totally shredded.

That was in the orginal tube I took out. One road was in a horrendously bad state. Although your probably right about the 2nd tube. Any went 50km to nearest Decathlon and had spending spree :lol:
  • cij28
    cij28 Posts: 1,272
    I use Ultremo ZX for summer and Schwalbe Durano S for rest of the time. Awesome tyres with excellent puncture resistance and great grip in the wet. Used to use Michelin Krylions but fiund the did not grip too well for me.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Nothing but praise for the ZX from me.
    Peter
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 237
    I would say it seems to be batch specific. I have all black ones which are marvellous. I also have ones with white stripes where the sidewalls are shot in no time at all. Sadly it doesn't fill me with confidence as they are a really good tyre from the ride point of view.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I put 28mm Ultremos on my best bike for PBP

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/big-tyres/

They are extremely fast, grippy, light and comfortable. Since PBP I switched them to another bike and did a few more miles on them. They are without doubt the best 28mm tyre I have ever used.

Only trouble with them is that the sidewalls get alarming looking gashes in them. After PBP (which is 1200km + riding around Paris before/after) the front had two gashes. I rotated the front to the back.

After about 1000km of general riding in Devon the other tyre had several gashes too. I never had a failure. After I would guess less than 3000km of riding I don't trust the tyres on a descent with all that damage to the sidewalls. I have replaced them. For a big event I'd buy a new set, use them and bin them afterwards. For riding about and training they are not suitable
  • mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    I've had mine since march 2012, done quite a lot of miles but the sidewalls have started to go on mine too. Threads of what look like cotton appear to be coming undone and they it doesn't look re-assuring! I'm tempted to bin them. That said before they started to go, they felt like the best, grippiest, fastest tyres i've ever had