Racing when it's wet

Spaniard
Spaniard Posts: 69
edited June 2012 in Amateur race
I was meant to be racing tonight, but ended up not going because the guy that I was going with called me beforehand concerned that the forecast of rain would make it dangerous Also, it was going to be a 90 mile round trip and he didn't want to waste the time and money for possibly nothing.
I didn't need much persuading as I was also concerned about the rain. Of course, at the time the race was due to start the sun came out, the wind dropped and everything was peachy! :roll:
I went out for a training ride, but I'm really kicking myself now for being such a wuss, as I need more races in my legs. I'm sure that if I'd gone to the race and spent a couple of hours suffering in the rain I might think differently.

Has anyone got any experience of racing in the rain? Is it really a crash fest?

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Raced tonight in wet conditions-rain stopped shortly before the start. No crashes and generally people take it a touch easier. Done plenty of races in the rain and not a problem
  • Theomerchant
    Theomerchant Posts: 187
    MikeWW wrote:
    Raced tonight in wet conditions-rain stopped shortly before the start. No crashes and generally people take it a touch easier. Done plenty of races in the rain and not a problem

I raced in the same race (Concorde RR) and it really wasn't too bad. it absolutely hammered it down for about an hour before the race but thankfully there wasn't much sitting water on the road. I have no confidence whatsoever in the wet especially round corners but after tonight you realise its not actually that bad and as MikeWW mentioned everyone tends to take it a little easier. I'd say the worst part was the reflection of the sun on the road on one of the straights...that was interesting to say the least!

Mike how'd you do in the race? I heard on the grapevine one of your guys took the win!?
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Did my first ever crit tonight with the added challenge of rain. Suprisingly it wasn't too bad, a bit slippy on the corners but we still tanked it round at 27mph. I was absolutely soaked after but it was also great fun. No crashes that I know of either.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW wrote:

I raced in the same race (Concorde RR) and it really wasn't too bad. it absolutely hammered it down for about an hour before the race but thankfully there wasn't much sitting water on the road. I have no confidence whatsoever in the wet especially round corners but after tonight you realise its not actually that bad and as MikeWW mentioned everyone tends to take it a little easier. I'd say the worst part was the reflection of the sun on the road on one of the straights...that was interesting to say the least!

Mike how'd you do in the race? I heard on the grapevine one of your guys took the win!?

Was getting concerned that the 3 guys off the front were going to stay away so helped one of my team mates to bridge across with just over a lap to go and he took his first win which was great. I just finished in the bunch after that. Got Mallory tonight and should have my race bike fixed within 4 weeks
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I don't tend to race in the wet, I don't enjoy it. Also the chance of some tool coming off his bike and smashing mine to fuck is greatly increased.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I love racing in the rain. Prefer it to racing in warm dry conditions. Rain is refreshing!

CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I tend to race in the wet because my thought process is something along the lines of, "Loads of people are going to look at this, think fu*k it - I'm not racing in that, and stay at home. That means a reduced field and THAT means more chance of points!".

In reality, it's never the case, but once I'm there I figure I might as well race anyhow! Racing tonight, with the South West currently on a warning for gale-force winds! ;)
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    As long as you don't mind eating grit and riding blind for 1/2 the race it's great fun. I haven't noticed many more crashes in wet races either and it does have the advantage of sorting out who can corner from who can't...
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    When I was racing I'd race in the wet, but not train unless it had been bad for days.

The reasoning was very much as above; smaller fields, good bike handling came to the fore and wet often is with wind, and again, sorts out those who can't ride wind properly.

AND - of course, it's get out, get wet, and straight into the changing room, no faffing about like on training rides.
  • Well, just had notification that tonight's race is still on, subject to on-site risk assessment by the com... The organisers did suggest that any deep section rims would be a bad idea though!
  • Theomerchant
    Theomerchant Posts: 187
    MikeWW wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:

Was getting concerned that the 3 guys off the front were going to stay away so helped one of my team mates to bridge across with just over a lap to go and he took his first win which was great. I just finished in the bunch after that. Got Mallory tonight and should have my race bike fixed within 4 weeks

Sounds good...some good tactics there!!, Paul Bates who also rides for the wton wheelers tried to do the same for me but as soon as he moved over for me to bridge the rest of the gap I was done...back to the turbo trainer me thinks :/.

Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way...again just get out and race, if you can't corner well you'll get dropped but if you can you'll probably find its safer than dry racing (people tend to take less risks etc)
  • Spaniard
    Spaniard Posts: 69
    Don't worry about hijacking the thread, some interesting reading. I've come to the conclusion that in future I'll go to the race regardless, - if it's that bad that i think it's dangerous i can always stop pedalling!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's rain and there's rain....depends on whether it's just a bit damp on the road or an inch of standing water! For the latter, getting a faceful of water and grit for 2 hours can be pretty unpleasant, plus you are also more likely to puncture too due to debris washed onto the road. Braking can be fun, particularly on carbon rims - but deep standing water is pretty effective at slowing you down if your brakes don't work too well. Despite the filthy conditions, once you get going it's actually OK and I've found it's a good chance to improve your bike handling skills - the differences are accentuated in wet, slippy conditions. Finally, races tend to break up more because it's horrible just sitting behind somone and so riders tend to attack.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MikeWW
    Raced at Mallory last night
    Was very wet when I arrived but was dryish as we started
    Wind got up, rain got a bit heavier and we had water running across the track in a few places but safe enough
    Got 2nd in the bunch sprint and 3rd overall so job done and 3rd cat here I come :D
  • I've put a report of last night's race up in the reports thread. Even with the weather, I should've done better, but raced like a divvy. Field size of just 14 in the 4ths, though. Worth remembering as a fitter rider that there are points to be had when the weather turns nasty! ;)
  • Rain is not so bad but I had a thunderstorm with hail during a race last month, it was carnage! It was like getting hit with small bullets while the road was getting covered in slush. Sorted out the men from the boys

And im still a boy it seems :oops:
  • indjke
    indjke Posts: 85
    I hate rain. Not mind water itself. But dirt and sand is everywhere from feet to helmet. Not to mention excessive chain wear :roll:
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    oh come on, get over it. it's just a few hundred pieces of metal.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!