Racing Clubs in Reading/Farnborough area

fastandfurry
fastandfurry Posts: 138
edited June 2012 in Amateur race
Mods please feel free to move this if it isn't in the right place - this just seemed the most natural place to put this.

I'm moving out to Reading for work purposes, and will also be working a few days a week in Farnborough, and was wondering what the local clubs were like.

I'm a second cat roadie, not that long in the sport, and my ideal club would have a few people at that level or higher, but be pretty relaxed. Relaxed is probably more important to me than top level people to ride with - with the proviso that the group rides still need to consist of regular trainers for me to get any fitness benefit (noodling along with my heart rate below 120 isn't my thing, though it has it's place).

Training-wise it'd be good to train with people that train to a plan on their club runs (as opposed to it descending into a race from the outset), with a nice long ride in a group on Saturdays or Sundays and more intensive training on weeknights (standard!).

Plan for this season is a few stage races (including the Ras de Cymru, entry already in), and to hit the Surrey and SERRL league road races. Crits are part of training for me, I'm better at the long steady efforts needed in road racing.

I'm also keen to do cyclocross and I'm getting an ok-ish mountain bike soon, so a bit of mountain biking would be good to add to the mix as well.

As to what I can do for the club: apart from racing, and therefore marshalling my fair share of races, I also tend to volunteer for stuff when work allows - my particular interest is bringing in new people to the sport (In another lifetime I ran beginners courses for a different sport, I might be interested in doing something similar in cycling when I know a bit more about the sport).

Anyone got any views on which one would be best for me to join?

Comments

• rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    Hi mate,
    Farnborough and Camberley cycling club have active racers and regular training rides. I'm a member as well and highly recommend them, sorry don't do links but they do have a website.
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not to dis F&C, but they're not really that active on the road-racing front.
    VC Meudon are more active in that respect and there's enough regular rides and riders to test you if that's what you're looking for? You'll also find a whole host of VCMs at most Surrey League and SERRL races too

http://www.vcmeudon.com/

They also have a facebook group that keeps everyone updated.

Over in Reading there is Reading CC too - there's North Hants CC in Basingstoke but little else in-between.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fastandfurry
    fastandfurry Posts: 138
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll take a look into the two options you've given, and turn up to some of the Eelmore crits to see who's about.

Ben
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Rob.M wrote:
    Hi mate,
    Farnborough and Camberley cycling club have active racers and regular training rides. I'm a member as well and highly recommend them, sorry don't do links but they do have a website.

I used to be a member. A very good club. recommend :D:D:D
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Reading CC is an option, might not be racing-oriented enough for you though (loads of members, but only a small proportion of racers and none above 3rd cat as I recall), but would mean very local rides. It's a 'sporting' club, meaning racing is nominally its focus but most of the serious racers end up racing for AW Cycles team (which could suit you, but would possibly be too serious).

VC Meudon seem pretty race-oriented, so they could be another option. I think they might have a better balance of higher-cat riders.