The Beerbelly Blues!

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
Hey guys!

I'm not a hardcore cyclist and my fitness isn't bad when it comes to cycling. My question is i want to get rid of my beer gut, (there are more opportunities to go the pub wi the lads than cycle) I was wondering other than sit ups etc what would you suggest i could do (pref at home) to tone up/lose some of the beer gut. Obvs the first thing would be to cut down the booze, thats a given. Any exercises you could give me would be great!
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    less beer, more cycling, simples. Got rid of 4 stones of mine this way in a year. No other exercise.
  • xscreamsuk wrote:
    less beer, more cycling, simples. Got rid of 4 stones of mine this way in a year. No other exercise.

Were the cycles you did long ones? I normally only cycle once a week on a Saturday i do live by the river and there is a nice 16 mile ride i could do when i finish work everyday, would that help?
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    er yep, I went from no cycling to 200+ miles a week in gradual increments. Couldn't ride 5 miles at the start. I built up to a 15 mile commute after about 6 weeks. Now I'm out almost every day.
  • xscreamsuk wrote:
    er yep, I went from no cycling to 200+ miles a week in gradual increments. Couldn't ride 5 miles at the start. I built up to a 15 mile commute after about 6 weeks. Now I'm out almost every day.

Nice! Well i completed a 40 miler this weekend in 3hrs 10 mins, so i guess my endurance is ok. I think ill try smash the canal one a few times after work then look for some more routes.
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sit ups do nowt for a beer gut - have to shed fat: eat less, move more!
  • paulmgreen
    paulmgreen Posts: 158
    Yes." agreed.... I have lost two stone and 3" off waist in under a year with minor change to diet ( no white bread or white sugar, more water , 75% of whatever portion size was ) I think longer rides at steady pace ( 2 hours + ) definitely help. Longer steady rides seem to burn more fat.......

A bowl of prridge before you go out, and fruit / cereal afterwards rather than heavy meal I think also helps
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    paulmgreen wrote:
    Yes." agreed.... I have lost two stone and 3" off waist in under a year with minor change to diet ( no white bread or white sugar, more water , 75% of whatever portion size was ) I think longer rides at steady pace ( 2 hours + ) definitely help. Longer steady rides seem to burn more fat.......

A bowl of prridge before you go out, and fruit / cereal afterwards rather than heavy meal I think also helps

Shorter intense rides burn more fat - longer steady rides burns more overall calories.

And no, situps are pointless. You cannot target weightloss