Fitting quick link to campag chain

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited June 2012 in Workshop
possible to remove link from campag chain with a standard high quality chain splitter, then fit a quick link? For the other chain (KMC) no problem that came with a quick link.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yes - the fancy pants Campag splitter is needed for rejoining the chain with normal pins. An ordinary splitter is fine for fitting a quick link.

KMC do quick links specifically for Campag chains.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • father_jack
    How much are they though? Last time I looked, £10 for a quick link, and £17 for a complete new chain with quick link!

This ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMC-Quick-lin ... 3f17fe00d2

oh I've probably done about 1500 miles, still ok to use a new quick link?
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    £7.40 for a pair:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-10-speed-chain-links/

I find these impossible to fit and remove by hand though so had to spend £20 or so on the fitting/removal tools as well (unlike the SRAM links I've used with shimano chains which are a doddle to connect/re-connect by hand).
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    £10 is the normal price (give or take a few quid) for two 11 speed links, not one. £9 here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043Q0LAG/r ... B0043Q0LAG

10 speed ones are slightly cheaper as linked above.

And I'm pretty sure you'll be fine using a new link on a 1500 mile chain.
  • father_jack
    It's a 9 speed. Also I mean you get one pair, so £9 is bit too expensive.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    9 speed, 2 pairs for £3.52

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-9-speed-chain-links/

correct interweb search technique for bike parts:

1 check wiggle
    2 check ribble
    3 check pbk
    4 check for usable wiggle/ribble/pbk discount codes/offers
    5 see if it's cheaper elsewhere, start with google shopping
    6 now, and only now, do you look on ebay, although google shopping should index it in 5
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • father_jack
    According to KMC site, the 9 speed quick link isn't compatible with Campagnolo chains.

Looks like I'll leave it until the supplied Campagnolo needs replacing.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    for 9-speed i didn't think there was any significant difference between campag/shimano chains, wiggle/others sell the kmc links as campag compatible

but if kmc don't say it, i agree not worth tempting fate
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • father_jack
    Think the pins are thicker on official Campag chains?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Irrc, my micrometer said the pins on the 10 speeds were the same diameter on both Campag and Shimano (I'd inadvertantly bought Shimano ones and used them for a good 1500 miles or so til I got round to getting the Campag ones) though that doesn't of course imply that that's the case for 9 speed.

As to fitting the KMC ones - a small allen key between the rollers and wiggled fits them - removing them (at least for the first time) works with a pair of thin pliers to push the quick link rollers towards each other and finger pressure on the plates. Usually seems to work!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    The KMC 9 speed Missing Link (only one) is compatible with Shimano, Sram and Campy.
    http://www.kmcchain.us/kmcproduct.asp?p ... 4&ssid=572
  • father_jack
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Ive been using a Shimarno 10s KMC in a 10s campag chain for about 1500 miles before I changed it - supplier sent the wrong one. When I changed it the only differance was the Campag specific one had a slight chamfer on the outside of the plates - as do campag chains. It made no differance to shifting and no hop whatsoever.

Just use it. Also its usefull to get the re-userable ones so they can be easerly broken and fitted by hand - just squeese the plates together and i becomes easy. Makes chain cleaning easy...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I personally wouldn't use a quick link, KMC or otherwise, there again I did buy the official Campag tool for 9/10 speed chains. I may or may not be using a quick link in the future. When it comes to 11 speed, when i get there i have the same decision to make ....
  • father_jack
    Been using quick link with supplied KMC chain for a while no problems. In fact the failure last time wasn't the quick link but other part of the chain.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    giant man wrote:
    I personally wouldn't use a quick link, KMC or otherwise, there again I did buy the official Campag tool for 9/10 speed chains. I may or may not be using a quick link in the future. When it comes to 11 speed, when i get there i have the same decision to make ....

Why not? What if your chain breaks while you're out on a ride?
  • giant_man
    then you're buggered aren't you, or carry a spare link and a chain tool - the right chain tool
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have used a KMC 10 speed link on my campy chain with no issues, it works fine.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bondurant
    giant man wrote:
    then you're buggered aren't you, or carry a spare link and a chain tool - the right chain tool

The only chain tool I carry is a breaker on my multitool. That and a quicklink are the easiest solution. You actually carry your Campag chain tool around with you on rides?
  • giant_man
    No, no I don't. it was a half hearted attempt at humour, but I have to say not one chain has ever broken on me, if a chain is correctly installed and LOOKED AFTER AND LUBRICATED, you shouldn't have any problems imo. The campag chains are very good.
  • father_jack
    Mine snapped, look after it. Think it was a whipperman. Certainly didn't do tens of thousands of miles on it, probably 2 years of use.
  • bondurant
    Same here, have had three chains snap in three years. One was Shimano, faulty batch, replaced. Two KMCs just went, and they were looked after (wiped down, regreased if needed after pretty much every ride). All on my winter bike. I think three snapping in that amount of time is probably unusual, but one or two chains in three years snapping on a ride, if you ride in all weathers and do a few thousand miles a year, is probably not uncommon.