Amateur Races in the South West

LarJones
LarJones Posts: 88
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
I use road riding primarily as a training tool for various disciplines of mountain biking, but have found myself rather enjoying it recently. I was looking for some beginner level races to give me something to train for and push my fitness a bit further, can anyone recommend some good entry level races in the south west?

Cheers for the help,

Lawrence

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    BC licence and away you go:
    http://tinyurl.com/cqacpn2
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Cornish Series events are pretty good, I know they run 4th cat races at the moment and also they are planning to run some Go race events this year, which will cost £3 and no licence needed might be worth a look, theres one tomorrow evening if you want!
  • LarJones
    Cheers guys, haven't really ridden in a bunch before so thinking a few group rides with a local club (although clearly different to the bunch in an actual race) might be wise before racing, so tomorrow might be a bit soon!
  • Have you joined a club yet, or are you still looking? If you're in Plymouth, then you could do well to speak with the Yogi guys - massive club, really friendly (from my experience, and no, I'm not a member), and active in pretty much all disciplines.

As for racing, there is the Cornish Series that has already been mentioned, held at Portreath & Perranporth. In the opposite direction, there are fairly regular races held at Ilton airfield in Somerset which is a pretty easy drive up the A38 & M5. They're promoted by 1st Chard Wheelers, Team Tor 2000 and the Somerset Wheelers usually. Ilton is also a very forgiving circuit for beginners: Wide, not-too-twisty, good surface.

Of specific interest, there is currently an ongoing Go-Race series taking place at Dunkeswell, near Honiton, on a karting track. Go Race events are specifically aimed at beginner racers (of which I am one, btw) - they offer no points, so the more serious racers stay away and there is also no requirement to have either club affiliation or a race licence, so it's literally just turn up and have a go. The track is very twisty, so it's good to have some cornering skills in addition to being able to ride in the bunch, and the fact that it's aimed at beginners doesn't mean that it's not competitive, but for just getting involved it's really good fun
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • LarJones
    Cheers for the pointers. I was planning on joining the Yogi club very soon, partly because i want to get on some group rides to push myself, and partly because all my mtbing friends have buggered off to other bits of the country!

The Go-Race series at Dunkeswell sounds like a good starting place; I've raced a kart round there before but not a bike, so I may well get myself along to one of them.
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Are the Go-Race rides for U16s?
  • alex1rob wrote:
    Nope, Go-Ride are the developmental events for young riders, Go-Race are just aimed at anyone looking to get into racing.
  • Laser man
    Laser man Posts: 54
    alex1rob wrote:

They're for people of all ages if you were wondering whether you could go and, if you want to go to the one at Dunkeswell's , then I'll see you there :wink:
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    alex1rob wrote:

Yes they are, u16/14/12/10 and u8s women and juniors and they are doing a 4th cat senior race as well, great fun :)
    Its all happening tonight at Dunkerswell, just get there by 6 ish.

If the OP wants to race then he needs to join a club that goes racing and in Plymouth that isnt YOGi (as good as they are, they are too slow, its far more of a social club) try RuTrainingToday.CC or CS South Hams.
    RuTT.CC are also doing GoRide training for u14s
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    I can't make it to Dunkerswell but I think I'll give the Stourport race a go. Thanks
  • If you want to get race fit do not join Yogi. They may call themselves the friendly bunch but I have found that is not the case :( I have been a member for the past 2 yrs and won't be rejoining... the group rides are too big which means its constantly stop-start-stop on the rides, plus a cafe stop which is 1/2 hr or longer. In the past 2 years I have not increased my average speed despite moving up a group :x I'm going to look into joining ru training today cc as they're currently ranked 4th race team in the south west. Have a look at their newsletters on their club page at http://www.rutrainingtoday.co.uk
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    JollyOllie wrote:
    If you want to get race fit do not join Yogi. They may call themselves the friendly bunch but I have found that is not the case :( I have been a member for the past 2 yrs and won't be rejoining... the group rides are too big which means its constantly stop-start-stop on the rides, plus a cafe stop which is 1/2 hr or longer. In the past 2 years I have not increased my average speed despite moving up a group :x I'm going to look into joining ru training today cc as they're currently ranked 4th race team in the south west. Have a look at their newsletters on their club page at http://www.rutrainingtoday.co.uk

Sounds like what you've been attending is a Sunday Club Social ride..... which is great for the purpose.

Do your training in the week and then you won't feel guilty about the Sunday ride and 30 minute break. :)

If you are really serious and want to train for racing etc etc why not join one of the 3 teams that are ranked higher than 4th.... they are clearly better, just don't complain when they stop of cake :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Interesting comments re yogi as my first time last night. 10s and 12s got bundled in together and much debate about where we were going. I suspect that the senior and more vocal prevailed. As you say, lots of stopping and starting and setting off through fairly heavy traffic and lots of lights. Seniors wanted to go on and do 'a ride' so one kind soul volunteered to bring back myself and two other newbies at what was a fairly rapid but doable pace. Quite an enjoyable ride but if I was training I would not want the stop start. I brought up the rear of the peloton and learned some good bike skills so my jury is still out. I was expecting to find my feet in the slowest group but suspect that I could have gone a lot further and faster than I was comfortable with
  • Anybody interested in SW racing, worth a mention (if you're not already aware) that next Thursday night sees the return of racing to West Point, near Exeter.
  • [/quote]Sounds like what you've been attending is a Sunday Club Social ride..... which is great for the purpose.

Do your training in the week and then you won't feel guilty about the Sunday ride and 30 minute break. :)

If you are really serious and want to train for racing etc etc why not join one of the 3 teams that are ranked higher than 4th.... they are clearly better, just don't complain when they stop of cake :)[/quote]

I went out on Saturdays (social riding) and Tues & Thurs evenings (training riding) - both had an enormous amount of stoppage time. In the short time going out with RUTrainingToday my fitness and strength has already improved - and my cake stomach got smaller :lol:

RUTrainingToday now up to 3rd position! Other teams not necessarily better, they just have a larger number of racers - they're also not based in Plymouth so right choice made on this one. A much friendlier bunch!