Whats happened to tyres?

2»

Comments

• Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Wet screams are a terrible choice for all round tyres. You run them on anything apart from total slop and there'll be nothing left of them within a couple of rides. To be honest, unless you're racing then something like a high roller will be fine on all terrain. I know some anoraks will come back and tell me that different tyres suit different terrain, and this is right - for top level riders. Yet every year we go to the alps, we get up on a rainy day and see loads of neck bracers in the lift queues with their wet screams on, and still overtake loads of them on sets of year old high rollers. They don't make that much difference.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Majski wrote:
    Wet screams are a terrible choice for all round tyres. You run them on anything apart from total slop and there'll be nothing left of them within a couple of rides. To be honest, unless you're racing then something like a high roller will be fine on all terrain. I know some anoraks will come back and tell me that different tyres suit different terrain, and this is right - for top level riders. Yet every year we go to the alps, we get up on a rainy day and see loads of neck bracers in the lift queues with their wet screams on, and still overtake loads of them on sets of year old high rollers. They don't make that much difference.
    But you've basically just said that High Rollers work where you live, and in the alps. Fair enough, I found High Rollers and Minions were great in Portes du Soleil as well.
    But they were sorely lacking on Snowdonia's natural trails - to the point where they were a little frustrating.
  • Majski
    Majski wrote:
    But you've basically just said that High Rollers work where you live, and in the alps. Fair enough, I found High Rollers and Minions were great in Portes du Soleil as well.
    But they were sorely lacking on Snowdonia's natural trails - to the point where they were a little frustrating.

I live in the center of Birmingham? I ride, regularly, all over the UK

What I basically mean is for the average rider you don't need to be changing tyres for different locations. I've never had an issue with high rollers or minions. Though currently i've got some bontrager things that look like minions, they came on the session and they seem fine too.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Majski wrote:
    What I basically mean is for the average rider you don't need to be changing tyres for different locations. I've never had an issue with high rollers or minions. Though currently i've got some bontrager things that look like minions, they came on the session and they seem fine too.
    I agree, I was just pointing out earlier, that even though Northwind finds Contis terrible, I've found them to be the best round here.
    There is no "one tyre to suit all", so it's worth finding what works best where you ride.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignoring all the garbage in the middle, and answering the original question, they got better. Much better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Majski
    Majski wrote:
    I agree, I was just pointing out earlier, that even though Northwind finds Contis terrible, I've found them to be the best round here.
    There is no "one tyre to suit all", so it's worth finding what works best where you ride.

I suppose if you ride mostly in one place that's fair enough. I ride in tonnes of different places and am far far too lazy to change tyres and don't want to buy more than one set so I have got used to using high rollers / minions on everything and find they're ok as a good average. I'm definately not good enough to be doing one run of a DH track then changing tyres at the bottom to suit conditions
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Majski wrote:
    I'm definitely not good enough to be doing one run of a DH track then changing tyres at the bottom to suit conditions
    Nobody's suggesting that :roll:
  • Majski
    Majski wrote:
    I'm definitely not good enough to be doing one run of a DH track then changing tyres at the bottom to suit conditions
    Nobody's suggesting that :roll:

I know, but it's something I see happen on a regular basis and it's pretty cringeworthy when you see people do it then continue to crawl down draggin their brakes the whole way
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Nobody else in this thread was suggesting that, either. Or mentioning it. Just you.
  • Majski
    Yes, and your point? Or does everything people want to mention need to get pre-approved by you?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm just a little peeved at how it came across. You seemed to be suggesting I'd said things which I hadn't.
  • Majski
    You seem to be a little paranoid, I didn't suggest that you said anything!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Majski wrote:
    You seem to be a little paranoid,
    I am a bit, yeah. Put it down to a mis-spent youth :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Majski wrote:
    You seem to be a little paranoid
    You must be new here.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    He is :) he doesn't know Yee yet enough to ignore 90% of what he says hehe

But a nice guy i might add (not you Yee).
  • cooldad
    He is :) he doesn't know Yee yet enough to ignore 90% of what he says hehe

But a nice guy i might add (not you Yee).
    OnIy 90%? Are you new here or something.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    gotta laugh first day i put the scream on and the sun comes out!!! yesterday and today are +25 C oh well it will be winter soon :roll:
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'd really suggest taking it off if you haven't already, it wont last 5 minutes in the dry.
  • Majski
    Majski wrote:
    You seem to be a little paranoid
    You must be new here.

I was on MBUK years and years ago but when it became BR a load of us joined another forum, which is still running - just not very strongly!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh the whingers? :lol:
  • Majski
    Probably, just the ones I know started using that forum so I did too.
  • cooldad
    Majski wrote:
    So the whinging sheep
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Majski
    cooldad wrote:
    Majski wrote:
    So the whinging sheep

you shouldn't let the internet get to you
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Majski wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Majski wrote:
    So the whinging sheep

you shouldn't let the internet get to you
    Straight back at you.
  • Majski
    ???
  • craigw99
    minions have now been ordered as my oem are Cr*p in the dry as well!!
  • craigw99
    Just to update on 2 downhill bits on carron valley the maxxis are 9 seconds faster over half a mile than the continentals thaw ax huge difference