How to find the correct Shimano Technical Documents

garethcope
garethcope Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Scott Scale 20 2007 Model and looking through the documents I got with the bike I seem to be missing a number of Shimano Technical Documents for various components (mixture of XTR and XT). I know you can download these from Shimano's website but I want to make sure I get the correct versions. They have different numbers starting with M and then either an 8 or 9 and two other digits. I've tried contacting Shimano 3 times now and SCott Scale but neither have bothered to respond to my emails.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    m8** is xt and M9** is xtr IIRC, Im sure nick will correct me if im wrong
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • garethcope wrote:
    I know you can download these from Shimano's website but I want to make sure I get the correct versions.......

Each Shimano Component has a specific serial number "stamped" into it. For example crank ID - FCM### - can be found around the circumference of the pedal thread on the backside of the crankarms. RD is for Rear Derailleur, FD is for Front Derailleur and so on. Each component has its abbreviated letter combination before the model number.
    Practice IDing your parts and finding the corresponding Technical Document or Exploded View PDF on the Shimano Tech Support page.
    Its a very interesting, sensible and satisfying way to make use of the WorldWideWeb.

Matthew
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.
  • if your not quite sure on what parts you have, look on the bike makers site for spec list and then will give you the part numbers, M9** in XTR, M8** Siant, M7** XT, M6** SLX, M5** deore,
    osme parts, often cranks are non coded and generic oem versions which on the shimano tech docs are covered,

Left side gives you the specific application, being road, mtb, touring etc. all levels of hit in the drop down box's
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... ID=iBDVXrR
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What are you wanting to know?

Find your part number and download the info.

Or just read Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A mech is pretty much a mech, etc. You will rarely need anything more specific.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Practice IDing your parts and finding the corresponding Technical Document or Exploded View PDF on the Shimano Tech Support page.
    I enjoy spending a summer's evening practising that. I used to make my ex girlfriends join in too. Can't figure out why she (well, all of them) left me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I enjoy spending a summer's evening practising that. I used to make my ex girlfriends join in too. Can't figure out why she (well, all of them) left me.
    I expect that was more likely your helmet problem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Why on earth would you want the technical documents for a 5 year old bike?

If you want to know how to fix it just use the Park Tools website