Dragon Ride - estimated times

llen
llen Posts: 65
Hi all

This is to all those that are doing the dragon ride in a few weeks. I was just wondering what time the average gran fondo participant is hoping to do it in? I did 100 miles of the 130 mile course yesterday and the combination of rhigos and bwlch at the end into a headwind was a killer and really took it out of me. I'm thinking the extra 30 miles on top of that will be absolute murder.

I completed yesterdays ride in 8 hours which included 3 stops which totalled 1 hour. I'm thinking I'm looking at a good 10+ maybe 11 hours with the extra mileage.

Any thoughts?
Llen

Comments

• benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I'll be happy to get around it, if I get a decent time then that'll be a bonus.

I did the last Dragon Ride (Sarn Helen) GF in 7:50 or thereabouts including two cakestops, this one will be a different beast I fear!

I rode the Devils Elbow last week, bearing in mind that we hit this at 80 miles in on the Dragon I'm a bit worried that I maybe walking part of it.

I'm pretty poor going uphill and I really don't know why I entered this one.

Good luck Llen.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • llen
    Benno

That devils elbow is a toughie no doubt. There is a short sharp 20% hill about 2 or 3 miles before then also which takes it out of you. I've got to say the sceneray was gorgeous yesterday and I hope we have similar weather. I'm from Bridgend and know how different the ride will be with adverse conditions.

It will definitely be a stern test of us all!!!
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Having gone and done most of the Dragon Ride which bit is the Devils Elbow? There was some short sharp stuff near Neath and a nasty (shorter) climb in the beacons I think this is the Sarn Helen climb!?

Can't say I've been all the way to the top of the route but based on what I've done hoping to be around the 7:30hr mark. I'm being optimistic with a hint of realism. I managed a hilly 80 miles in just a touch over 4 hrs in February, so hopefully in good stead for the DR.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • llen
    Just checked the route and zoomed in on the bit that I believed was teh devils elbow and the name of the road appears to be sarn helen. Either way I found that pretty tough!!

leejdavies - you are in a different league to me mate. Love your bike though (I have a mortirolo too)
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    Live in Glynneath and rode the gran fondo section yesterday (see strava link below) and the devils elbow killed me off,been up it a few times at around 20 miles into a ride and always got up it but yesterday at 64 miles was a big fat fail,didnt even reach the 1st switch back!
    Took my shoes off to walk up it and ended up with blisters on my feet.
    tbh,the longer route is going to be a ride to far for me atm so will probably opt for the shorter route.
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    I'm doing the DR and it's my 1st time. Never ridden any of the circuit or even seen the climbs. Can anyone tell me what the climbs are generally like. I rode the etape du dales the other week for the 4th time, max incline on that is 26%. Is there anything as bad on the DR? I was kinda hoping the climbs would be long valley climbs, something you can get a rhythm on...... Here's to hoping.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    same as above. Did Fred Whitton in just over 8 hrs ride time & managed all the climbs (somehow) but i think the extra miles of the Dragon will really hurt. Just hope the weather will not be pants!
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    forecast is for about 15 degrees with a 60% chance of rain, this applies to Brecon and Swansea so probably not ideal.

I have not seen any of the hills but am hoping for about the 10hr mark

God luck to one and all and lets hope the rain holds off.

Right I had better get away and do my Mendiip hills session to get the legs in shape for next week! :lol:
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • benno68
    cwm wrote:
    Live in Glynneath and rode the gran fondo section yesterday (see strava link below) and the devils elbow killed me off,been up it a few times at around 20 miles into a ride and always got up it but yesterday at 64 miles was a big fat fail,didnt even reach the 1st switch back!
    Took my shoes off to walk up it and ended up with blisters on my feet.
    tbh,the longer route is going to be a ride to far for me atm so will probably opt for the shorter route.

You're not the only one Cwm, I rode from Cardiff in terrible conditions on the Easter Monday and had to stop on the final switchback - that was on a 34 x 27. I drove up to Storey Arms and got up there on my 39 x 28 to put some ghosts to rest, but that was only around 12 miles into a 25 miler.

No doubt it will be a killer with more miles in the legs.

I'm quite relieved that it's unlikely to be a scorcher, cool and dry would suit me fine.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    Crispyapp wrote:
    I'm doing the DR and it's my 1st time. Never ridden any of the circuit or even seen the climbs. Can anyone tell me what the climbs are generally like. I rode the etape du dales the other week for the 4th time, max incline on that is 26%. Is there anything as bad on the DR? I was kinda hoping the climbs would be long valley climbs, something you can get a rhythm on...... Here's to hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LT6vsZL9eU

The link above may help you out. If you search Dragon Ride 2012 you'll find more of the climbs on Youtube.

The Devils Elbow is a fairly steady climb which has a tendency to make one think "I'm feeling good, this ain't as bad as it's made out to be", after a left switchback I had that Jesus Christ moment, there are steeper hills around but not many with the lead up that the Devils Elbow has! Hopefully it won't fool me next week.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Hmm. 82% chance of rain 14 degrees at my last check...

I'm really at a loss as to what clothing to take, I don't suppose I'll be racing so I'm leading towards warmer clothing...

DHB roubaix bib leggings too much? I don't actually own a waterproof either. Epic fail.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Shorts mun. And black socks obviously.

As to raincoats. Something very very light and stowable for the descents. But 14 degrees aint all that bad really.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • benno68
    alex1rob wrote:
    Hmm. 82% chance of rain 14 degrees at my last check...

I'm really at a loss as to what clothing to take, I don't suppose I'll be racing so I'm leading towards warmer clothing...

DHB roubaix bib leggings too much? I don't actually own a waterproof either. Epic fail.

You'll be cooking mate, shorts (knee warmers optional), short sleeve base layer and short sleeve jersey with arm warmers, take a rain jacket and if you get cold on the descents chuck it on.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Ads4gas
    Ads4gas Posts: 8
    Crispyapp wrote:

Weather going to be a massive factor on this route. Most the 4 major climbs are all long valley type climbs trouble being that 2 of them plus of course the Glyneath bank are late on in he route so fatigue if windy will be a factor.
    The elbow is no a problem nice 2 to 3 m,e warm up on a slight gradient then it kicks up sharply between 2 hairpins roughly about 18 - 20%. I can sit it out on a 11/25 compact without too much grunting. Lovely lovely descent immediately after so worth putting the effort in.
    We did the entire route 2 weeks ago plus a little extra, total 138 miles in just under 10 hours with 3 stops for a refuel, weather was kind though, 12 started, 6 finished :?
    See you there guys, . 8.30-8.45 start for me