First Time Tubs

Lord Jimmy 7th
Lord Jimmy 7th Posts: 379
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
OK, so i just bought some tubs, the first set i have ever bought and my question is about the valve extenders. and the removable cores.

Will they come with some or do i need to order them to suit my wheels? both for the cores and the extenders?

James

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the make of tub and the valve arrangement. All tubs come with removable valve cores, but with some e.g. Vittoria, you completely remove the existing valve and replace with another, long one. Whilst some types of extender are simply an open tube which you fit to the installed valve - you have to leave the valve open
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'm using TopPeak valve extenders with Conti tubs and they seem ok at the moment... Although personally I'm not sure I'd buy Continental tubs again as they were a nightmare to fit. Tighter than a mallard's sphincter even after I'd had them stretching for a week!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    The Conti extender is a hollow tube, internally threaded at both ends.
    It comes with a little tool which enables you to remove the core from the tub valve, screw the extender onto the valve, screw the core into the other end of the extender. Use a bit of plumbers PTFE tape to ensure a good seal.
    The extender then functions just as a normal valve.

However as Monty says, with some others you open the valve on the tub, screw the extender on over the top, leaving the valve open inside. The tyre doesn't go down with the valve left unscrewed, the pressure inside keeps the valve shut, the screw-down bit just keeps crap out of the valve. However, to let pressure out, you need to push it in - which means with this type of extender you need to poke a bit of wire or something down inside to open it.

I understand there's a different valve core thread between Vittoria and Conti, so you need Conti extenders for Conti and Vittoria for Vittoria.

Your next question is going to be about tub glue vs. tape I'll bet ! :lol:
  • erm actually no :) i have bought tufo tubs which are reccomended with their tape so i went for that

thanks, i guess i will wait until they arrive to have a look, or end up buying the tufo extenders and keep everything in the family.
  • Unless you specifically ordered them you'll need to order the extenders. Get the Tufo ones, they are an excellent quality extender.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    With Contis I use black extenders that I bought from Planet X, and use PTFE tape. With Vittorias I use their red extender that screws into the tub after unscrewing the valve. On Vittorias the valve cores arent removable.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
    I will get some extenders for the tubs, do the tubs themselves have much of a valve (so i can work out what size extender to buy)