Which £1K Carbon Ribble ?

mjw123
mjw123 Posts: 61
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've decided to go Ribble with £1K budget to buy through our C2W scheme.

Originally I was going to go with the sportive bianco but only comes with Tiagro groupset if you want to keep the price < £1K

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... =conf_SERC

However the Summer special Evo pro Carbon with 105 groupset and Mavic Aksium at £995 looks like a very good deal

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... =conf_SERC

Is there a big difference between Tiagro and 105 ? - Assuming both frames are similar quality i think the Sportive set up of the Bianco is more suited to me requirements.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Comments

• Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    I almost bought a banco last autumn, went to the Ribble showroom and it was a comfortable feel sat on it (no test ride allowed) I was ready to order with 105 spec and the price increased by £50, I managed to source a Scott CR1 for less so went for it, but the sportive even with tiara should be a great bike, the only thing is that the Evo has the aksium wheels which should be better than the Rodis on the bianco, maybe you should try and get down to Ribble and at least sit on them both, the guys in the showroom were helpful and knowledgable when I went, good luck.
  • mjw123
    Thanks - it's a bit of a hike over there but might go. I'm guessing a medium frame is correct as i'm 5' 8" and 31" inside leg
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    I'm just about the same size as you, sat on a medium bianco and it was perfect, the ribble guy recommended a 100mm stem for out and out comfort, 110mm for a lower position, though personally I can't see how 10mm can make much difference, but then I'm only new to all this.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Mickyg88 wrote:
    I'm just about the same size as you, sat on a medium bianco and it was perfect, the ribble guy recommended a 100mm stem for out and out comfort, 110mm for a lower position, though personally I can't see how 10mm can make much difference, but then I'm only new to all this.

2.5mm can make a big difference
  • mjw123
    Thanks - is there a way to determine what stem size you should go for?
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    mjw123 wrote:
    Thanks - is there a way to determine what stem size you should go for?
    Not really unless you go for a bike fit.
    It's a little bit of trial and error and going with how comfortable you feel initially. Over time you may feel the need to adjust stem length and stack height.
    Don't cut the fork steerer too low and go with a few spacers. You can always cut a bit more off later.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • mjw123
    I've raised a voucher against the evo carbon but i'm having 2nd thoughts - i see the evo carbon frame is heavily discounted now on the ribble site and obviously old stock, i much prefer the sportive bianco and am tempted to go for it with the 105 groupset but leave the crap wheels on with a view to upgrading them later.

Really confused now, am i really going to notice any riding difference between the 2 frames as an amateur in his early 40's and only doing 40-50miles a week in summer :? :?
  • mjw123
    Anyone ? - really need to make the final decision today
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mjw123 wrote:
    .... I much prefer the sportive bianco......

There you go - now press the button! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Looks wise the Evo carbon is very yester-year compared to the sportive bianco.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • mjw123
    Even before revisiting this thread i'd ordered the Bianco - just looks so much much than the pro carbon.

Go with your gut feel ;)
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    Mickyg88 wrote:
    Yes it can and does. The good thing is that there's lots on ebay so you can chop and change really easily and at almost zero cost until you get the right size.