Hayes Stroker levers are on upside down.

p44cmb
p44cmb Posts: 124
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Am hoping some of you might be able to point in the right direction here. let me give you a little background before I ask my question.

My Cube Ltd 2011 came with Hayes Stroker Rydes and the levers are upside down e.g the "Hayes stroker" writing faces towards the floor rather than facing upwards. I'd like to simply swap the levers over from left to right to make them the right way up again which will then allow me to move my brake levers inboard of the shifters to give the spacing I need as the master cylinder currently does not butt up against the side of the shifter enough.

I'm guessing when the bike was built (Cube are German don't forget) it was set up "euro Style" with the left lever for the front and the right lever or the back. When the bike arrived at the bike shop for them to set it up for me they simply swapped the levers still connected to the hose and callipers to give me the "UK way" with right doing front and left doing back.

In order to do the swap over, I know I will need to remove the hoses from the levers, swap the levers from left to right and then reconnect the hoses and then bleed the brakes. SIMPLE IN THEORY!!!!

My question is really this.... Do I need to by the service kit for the hoses to give me the compression bits or is it ok to just unscrew the hose and rescrew it back on to the other lever again or am I going to run into problems?

Many thanks

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Assuming that you do it carefully and dont wave the cables around or grab the levers, you should be able to swap them over, then undo the hoses and switch them without needing a bleed or service.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't bother. I bet the only person in the whole world who notices is you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • p44cmb
    On the purely cosmetic side then yes it will be just me that notices. On the practical side, it's gonna be a right ball ache to bleed the brakes with the bleed screw facing the floor though.
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    Personally, I'd probably wait until they need a bleed, then swap them over.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I've got a pair of Stroker Trails going on four years and haven't needed anything except pads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • p44cmb
    Aye, good point guys, no reason to create work without good reason I guess.