Full-Sus for £2000

mwaceu
mwaceu Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Im am looking to get a new bike. I currently have a 2007 Marin Rocky Ridge Hardtail. Its a bit on the small so its quite nimble and fun but not so great for a full day riding or going up hills. I like riding technical trails with perhaps a few small jumps and drops. We like riding Swinley QE, Leith Hill and sometimes we may go a bit further to Afan etc

I want to upgrade to a full-sus but I am not sure what sort of bike to go for. I have a budget of about £2000 and I will be getting it from a shop so I can pay in installments. I still want to ride trails but I want to have a better time riding up hills. I also want to start hitting bigger jumps and drops.

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    That's better ;)

I know you say you want to buy from a shop but have a look at Canyon bikes. You have to buy direct from their website as far as I'm aware but they offer great value full sussers and are well regarded on this forum.

Cube also have some good options around your budget and there are dealers which will offer finance on Cube bikes (Hargroves Cycles)
  • mwaceu
    mwaceu Posts: 3
    Iwasn't really paying attention and that was the first place google took me :roll:

I have a Hargroves close to me so I will pop in and have a chat. Iv also asked Canyon if they will offer me finance.

My friends have Moondrakers. Are they any good for what I want to do?
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    Hargroves also do Stevens bikes, which are another German brand offering similar value to canyon, not quite as good but you'll be able to try them in the shop. the glide sx is £2099.
  • miguel73
    miguel73 Posts: 28
    As above really, spent a good two months looking for a full susser and always kept on coming back to the Canyon's!...
    Ordering my Strive ES 9.0 next week, can't wait!!!!................but unfortunately i'm gonna have to as it's an 8 week wait! :-(
  • Whyte t120?

I brought it at the start of the year and highly recommend it. It took me a while to get used to the suspension design but once settled it flys over jumps and with maxles at both ends it steers through corners with confidence. On xc loops its quick enough despite what the 28lb weight suggests. Oh yeah and its a proper good looking bike!

Only bad bits would be the tyres because when it rains have barely any grip. Also i broke the rear shock on the first ride and the lack of propedal or lockout was quite annoying when sprinting but the LBS upgraded it to an rp23
    The suspension bearings are starting get bad not to worry though they're covered with a lifetime warranty. One less thing to worry about!

Buy this bike if you want an 120mm xc trail bike with some all mountain guts! The 2011 version has £500 off too which could go towards ugrading tyres and rear shock...
    highly recommended you wont regret it!
    Whyte T120 2012
    Specialized Rockhopper expert
    Specialized Stumpjumper Expert