Just how fit are these guys?

1235»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but I seem to recall Ali talking about how the actual boxing match wasn't really the hard part. It was the training required. I'm tempted to believe this is true in most, if not all, sports. Anyone who wants to win at any sport at a pro level has to push himself as hard as possible and stay healthy. That would seem to be the hardest part for everyone. They mostly all push to the limit of what the body will tolerate whether they are cyclists, boxers, swimmers, whatever.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    "Everyone has a plan until they've been hit." - Joe Louis
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    dennisn wrote:
    Anyone who wants to win at any sport at a pro level has to push himself as hard as possible and stay healthy. That would seem to be the hardest part for everyone. They mostly all push to the limit of what the body will tolerate whether they are cyclists, boxers, swimmers, whatever.

^^^ Agreed. Just look at professional cricketers... er, well, okay maybe not, but I agree :).

And then there's also the elements of skill to add in as well.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    dennisn wrote:
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but I seem to recall Ali talking about how the actual boxing match wasn't really the hard part. It was the training required.

'I run on the road long before I dance under the lights'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    "the will to win means nothing without the will to prepare"

Tanzanian multiple marathon winner Juma Ikangaa.
  • "Pass the Haagen Dazs" - Jan Ullrich, winter 97-06 ;)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Singleton wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Anyone who wants to win at any sport at a pro level has to push himself as hard as possible and stay healthy. That would seem to be the hardest part for everyone. They mostly all push to the limit of what the body will tolerate whether they are cyclists, boxers, swimmers, whatever.

^^^ Agreed. Just look at professional cricketers... er, well, okay maybe not, but I agree :).

And then there's also the elements of skill to add in as well.

You haven't watched much cricket in the last 10 years have you? All sports are taking the physical aspects far more seriously than they did 10 - 20 years ago. Even most pro golfers now have physical training programmes after seeing how Tiger dominated the sport.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    "Pass the Haagen Dazs" - Jan Ullrich, winter 97-06 ;)

"...And that's definitely only Hundreds Und Thousands on the top, ja?" - Jan Ullrich, just before popping out to the Ritzy Nitenclub, June 2002
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    "Everyone has a plan until they've been hit." - Joe Louis

Good one. :lol::lol:
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Pro tour cyclists are clearly highly gifted, well trained and at the top of their game but they only really have to possess one primary attribute which is ridiculous cardio fitness (this is a broad description but you know what I mean).

Taking nothing away from the cyclists I find the guys that have to mix attributes more impressive. Ie elite rowers and fighters (both boxing and MMA) as they have to be at the top of both the strength/power and cardio side of things. Trying to finely balance those two attributes is pretty impressive.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Or the sport watched by Mr Wiggins, Rugby League, some amazing athletes.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Fit enough to not even have to bother with 2 wheels

daily-morning-awesomeness-9.jpg?w=500