Did Rhigos for the first time

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I was up at the in-laws at Ystrad Mynach this weekend and took my bike as me the wife had a night away in the Becons from the boy so I was allowed to take my bike. I cycled back to them on Sunday and went over Rhigos for the first time :) (from the Brecon side)

Living in Essex, it makes our hills look like hump back bridges LOL.

I don't want to have a pi$$ing contest, but am genuinely interested how long it takes regular riders to do it - I only want this to try and benchmark to go back and try and improve myself as I plan to go back a few times over the summer and do it again a few times.
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    17 minutes 6 seconds
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    17 minutes 6 seconds

if it's not on strava - it didn't happen :lol:

Here's a link to the strava section for it - times from 12 minutes 25 seconds upwards.

http://app.strava.com/segments/892958
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I prefer it from the Treherbert side where there is more of an 'alpine' feel to it. Whilst a decent climb I think there are better (and harder) ones in the area. I've never timed myself up it and have only ridden it a few times but I have been up it on a 80 mile road race straight after the Bwlch which was an experience (got dropped about quarter of the way up after just clinging on going up the Bwlch).
  • chiv30
    chiv30 Posts: 49
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I was up at the in-laws at Ystrad Mynach this weekend and took my bike as me the wife had a night away in the Becons from the boy so I was allowed to take my bike. I cycled back to them on Sunday and went over Rhigos for the first time :) (from the Brecon side)

Living in Essex, it makes our hills look like hump back bridges LOL.

I don't want to have a pi$$ing contest, but am genuinely interested how long it takes regular riders to do it - I only want this to try and benchmark to go back and try and improve myself as I plan to go back a few times over the summer and do it again a few times.

I'm a total beginner to road riding after coming from mtb , did it the last weekend as part of my first 50 miler Then the Bwlch , as such I'm way down on that Strava link but Ill admit the climb and descent over both was fantastic .... And if I Think most ppl should be able to do it in about 25 mins max if that's all the riding They are going to do that day.

Still if You enjoy the climb and the views .... does it really matter?
  • brettjmcc
    Pross wrote:
    I prefer it from the Treherbert side where there is more of an 'alpine' feel to it. Whilst a decent climb I think there are better (and harder) ones in the area. I've never timed myself up it and have only ridden it a few times but I have been up it on a 80 mile road race straight after the Bwlch which was an experience (got dropped about quarter of the way up after just clinging on going up the Bwlch).

Yes, next time, I'll be going up through Treorchy and Treherbert. We were staying in the Ty Newydd hotel for a night and it was the way back... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/182820758

Would appreciate some advice on climbs and routes to go, as I'd be riding out from Maesycwmmer/Ystrad Mynach.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc
    Chiv, it doesn't matter, that was my first point. I did enjoy it, but like many other would always like to try and improve myself, I'd just like to understand where I could, so posed the question. I ride for me and my enjoyment and fully doth my cap to everyone on this board for riding rather than sitting at home :)

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • chiv30
    chiv30 Posts: 49
    Sorry fella , I have been prone to worrying about speeds times etc when I first started commuting on my mtb that I always assume everyone is the same .
    what I will say is take in the views off the top of the Rhigos as they are breathtaking on a clear day and for me that makes the climb more than worth it , its the same off the Bwlch which is another good climb