Going SPD route, need help.

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,

Been wanting to move from normal pedals to SPD and I have purchased a pair of used Shimano PD-M520:
SPD.jpg

My question is, no cleats are fitted currently right? Is the cleat the bit that connects pedal to shoe? Will any SPD cleat work?

Also, will any SPD shoe work? I have looked at some pairs of shoes and some seems to have the connecting part (on sole) in various places (front, mid and rear) - is mid the most common?

Kind regards,

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cleats fit in the sole of the shoe.

Yes, SPD shoes should work once the cleats are bolted into the cleat box in the sole.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    The cleat is the part that you attach to bottom of your shoe and once wearing the shoe the cleat then engages into your pedals and locks into place. Your pedals have an adjustor screw to tighten/loosen the how much "float" you want this is the amount that your pedals/cleats will move whilst engages together. Basically the more movement and freedom you have the move your knees & ankles can move around and for a beginner would suggest that you have them pretty loose to get you used to them as it is a common issue when first moving over to SPD's to get an ache in your knees. However it is totally personal preference and some like them loose and some with little movement.

Any SPD cleat will work as will any shoe as most are drilled in the bottom for shimano fitting as they are the most common but if in doubt just ask in the shoe your buying from.

When you get the shoes & cleats they should have a fitting guide to help you get them going but don't be afraid to move the cleats after a few rides till you get really comfortable in them. Once you have you might want to mark the bottom of your shoes with a permanent marker so that swapping out cleats for new ones is a simple job.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Bike-Rich
    Many thanks for help and suggestions guys,

When i have fitted the cleats, can I walk around in the shoes? Or will I damage them?

Kind regards,
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Depends on the shoes that you buy but most SPD shoes have a recessed cleat "box" in the sole so whilst the cleat may protrude very slightly it won't affect your walking much, other than sounding like Dick Van Dyke/Roy Castle.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    The cleats on a SPD sole are recessed so walking on the shoe does not damage them. Eventually, of course, they wear but more from getting into and out of the pedal unless you are using them in more extreme rocky conditions which you might find mountain biking. Most SPD users can expect a long life from SPD cleats certainly in comparison to external road cleats.
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks guys :)

last question, I know you said most cleats will work with these PD-M520 I have but are they any that stands out as being popular/good? I just did a ebay search on spd cleats and loads came up.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    Thanks guys :)

last question, I know you said most cleats will work with these PD-M520 I have but are they any that stands out as being popular/good? I just did a ebay search on spd cleats and loads came up.

have got the same pedals on my mtb and use spd sh51 cleats
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

But note it's not hard to get the pedals new with the cleats for only an extra fiver.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    To the OP, you can get shimano single release or shimano multi release cleats. single release only let the foot free by twisting the ankle outwards.

multi release allow you to get your foot out (with effort) practically any which way, but at the expense of security. i.e. they can sometime come out when you don't want them to.

Shimano spd pedals have a spring adjustment that alters how tight they bind, it does not alter float, though it can feel like it does.

Note: only shimano style spd/mountain bike cleats will work with shimano spd pedals. time, look, crank brothers etc, will not work.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    yeah silly buying used pedals unless they come with cleats, they're half the cost of the pedals themselves! Those are SPD, two bolt, usually for MTB and touring, use same cleat type on the winter bike.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks guys,

Ideally, what spd pedals are best for road bike use?

Thanks,
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I like the M520s or M540s cos of the double sided entry, and touring shoes with a recessed cleat so I can walk

Some people prefer the single sided touring pedal A- something or other, which are a bit lighter

Others will recommend the full-on roadie SPD-SL types with the 3 point fixing plastic cleats, but they seem to make walking about a bit tricky / undignified
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    Thanks guys,

Ideally, what spd pedals are best for road bike use?

Thanks,

Well I use Time Roc Atak on my road/tourer, and Time Z control on my mtb/tourer.

for touring I take the Roc's off and put the Z control on for a bigger platform for starting off.

I use the same shoes for each: shimano mtb summer shoes and specialized mtb winter boots.

Any spd pedal will be fine, just get good shoes that are comfortable, take your time to get cleat setup right, and don't go for long/hard rides until you do.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails