C2W=£750 limit-help pick me a bike

Short Round Stan
Short Round Stan Posts: 20
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
After a few false starts(like getting laid off :shock: ) I'm ready to start again
Looking to buy a bike on the(new) works cycle to work scheme for a hilly commute to and from work,getting fit and blasting around Swinley Forest on.Limiting myself to £750 max and looking at the following,listing bike,fork,and rear derailer for some sort of comparison

Cannondale Trail SL 3 2012 -fork Rst Deuce Coil,27 gears,Shimano Deore Shadow
Trek 6000 D 2012 -fork SR Suntour XCR-RL ,30 gears,Shimano Deore XT M780 Shadow
Saracen Mantra 20122 -fork Rockshox XC32 TK Coil,27 gears,Shimano SLX M662 shadow
Charge Cooker Rigid 2012 -24 gears,Shimano Altus long cage 8/s
Boardman MTB Comp 2012 -fork Suntour Epicon air suspension,gears 27,SRAM X5
VooDoo Hoodoo -fork 120mm Suntour Raidon X1,gears 27,Shimano Alivio RD-M430

looking for something useable day to day and that will put up with some abuse-I'm 16 and a half stone,so I'm no light weight and at 42 I'm not going to flying off any big jumps anytime soon :mrgreen: !

What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links to bikes help!

What scheme and what retailers do you have access to, no point suggesting a bike you can't get.

Rule of thumb is buy the bike with the best fork, on that basis of the above the Hoodoo wins, although overall and allowing for your commute the Boardman is probably the better bike as it's lighter and more XC orientated but you can only get those if your scheme supplier is Halfords or the company runs it's own scheme, however for commuting the Charge would be better, but rigid is an 'aquired taste' over the rougher stuff, personally I like some give (even if I only have 4" - ahem!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Links to bikes help!

What scheme and what retailers do you have access to, no point suggesting a bike you can't get.

Rule of thumb is buy the bike with the best fork, on that basis of the above the Hoodoo wins, although overall and allowing for your commute the Boardman is probably the better bike as it's lighter and more XC orientated but you can only get those if your scheme supplier is Halfords or the company runs it's own scheme, however for commuting the Charge would be better, but rigid is an 'aquired taste' over the rougher stuff, personally I like some give (even if I only have 4" - ahem!)
    I'm working for First Great Western and they allow you to pick between 2 schemes-The Halfords one or Cycle Plus one which uses local shops like Evans,Action Bikes,AW Cycles,Berkshire Bikes ect
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    the boardman comp is by far the best of the ones you have listed
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In that case, get the Boardman.....it will be 'more better' on your commute than the Voodoo will be off road.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • In that case, get the Boardman.....it will be 'more better' on your commute than the Voodoo will be off road.
    thankyou-so much choice so little knowledge :lol: