Jockey wheels freewheeling

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited June 2012 in Workshop
How much resistance is acceptacle when flicking the jockey wheels? They don't continue to spin, but I don't have to use force to turn them. I think browsing on youtube showed freehwheels spinning for 10 seconds or so, but that wasn't in the rear derailleur cage, just holding them with his fingers.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    The ones that spin for ages will have proper bearings, maybe even ceramic bearings. Most jockey wheels seem to have bushes and so wont spin very well at all.

The difference will be 2/5ths of bugger all - maybe the odd watt or two. Upgrade if you're a big bike tart (like me) or want to go 1 or 2 secs faster in a time trial. :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ^^Wot he said. I do clean the jockey wheels every once in a blue moon (when the bike has taken a real beating due to the mud/rain and the jockey wheels feel scratchy). Its the usual nonsense: take the cage apart, dismantle the jockey wheels into constituent parts, clean in soapy water, rinse well, dry off in airing cupboard and then reassemble. Final bit is a good lubing with light oil. Makes no discernable difference whatsoever but they do run nicer when you spin them :)