Why didn't I buy a road bike first time round...

Ka12
Ka12 Posts: 216
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I started out with a mountain bike because of the rough country lanes where I live, I then decided to buy a Boardman hybrid and then last week I finally bought a road bike. I was nervous about the less upright position and also the position of the gears but got a good deal on the road bike, Boardman FI carbon road bike brand new for just under £800 so decided to take the plunge.

First chance to get a short ride out tonight and wow what a difference in handling and speed :) Looking forward to lots more outings on the new bike:

7303857874_dd97be747d.jpg
P1000778 by Dizzyblonde82, on Flickr

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I think many folk follow the same path as yourself. Those that don't take up cycling seriously but want/need a bike fall into the "trap" of opting for an mtb when all their riding will be on road. A number of work colleagues knowing I love my cycling have said they've bought a bike to get fit on or commute to work on and it being an mtb. All their riding planned on road.

A few have then seen the light and realised there is a reason why they make bikes with skinny wheels and tyres :D

Enjoy your new bike. Looks very nice. :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    I've taken a similar path myself, so welcome to the club!

Although I now have a collection of three bikes (MTB, folding and road), it's the road bike I instinctively pick up for a ride - it's that sensation of speed and the satisfaction of covering great distances that really keeps me coming back for more.

That said, some people can ride an MTB on road at impressive speed. The other week I followed a guy through Richmond Park in London on an MTB with nobbly tyres - he was doing a constant 22.5 mph, so I drafted him the whole way. Amazing, since I can rarely sustain that pace on my road bike unless I have a strong tail wind.

I think most people just buy an MTB because they are worried about pot holes. But having ridden 2000 miles on my road bike over some pretty awful roads, I think road bikes a tougher than most people realise.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    This should be stickied at the top of the commuting general forum.

Must be 2-3 threads a day asking "which hybrid for my commute"? (usually on roads/cycle paths).
  • sdalby
    sdalby Posts: 139
    andyeb wrote:
    That said, some people can ride an MTB on road at impressive speed. The other week I followed a guy through Richmond Park in London on an MTB with nobbly tyres - he was doing a constant 22.5 mph, so I drafted him the whole way. Amazing, since I can rarely sustain that pace on my road bike unless I have a strong tail wind.

A mate of mine has done a few sportives and various races on his Orange 5 with knobbly tyres, and he never gets outclassed by the roadies. He has legs like a Duracell bunny, they just spin and spin no matter what gear he's in.
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!