Am I entitled to my money back?!

itsnotarace
itsnotarace Posts: 518
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
From the website http://www.bonusbond.com/Help/FAQs.aspx

5. How do I claim a refund for my purchase?

Refunds will be processed according to the individual retailer's refund policy. NOTE - Retailers cannot offer refunds of bonusbond gift vouchers.

As ever, read the small print

Comments

• mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    The law on "getting your money back" is not as straightforward as many people think. Try the two links below. I had a problem with an item last year, followed the advice from these sites and got my money back in the end.(Not a bike by the way).
    The nub of the issue is you will have to write a letter to the supplier telling them why you do not deem the bike fit for use. They will make whatever offer they see fit, you will have to allow them a reasonable time to reply, say two weeks. But state that in your letter. After a couple of letters, if you are not happy with the response, send a final letter, make the statement below the closing line of the letter. You can also try the Martin Lewis website, but be aware he is not 100% correct about everything.

Best of luck.

"I would also make it clear that the last letter before action will be my next letter, unless a resolution is found by the (Date)"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/.../consume ... /index.htm
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advi ... advice.cfm
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    It looks like they are being helpful but do not with to lose the turnover ... seems reasonable to me. No idea what the law is but I'd not be having a fight ... take the vouchers.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    It could be the easier option to take the vouchers and sell them on at a small loss.
  • winrya
    winrya Posts: 32
    Stick them in the Classifieds. Someone will take them off you
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I'll give you £80 for them.

I don't see why they need to offer you anything other than the second bike. Just because you don't want it anymore isn't a valid reason. The vouchers are a perfectly good offer in my book.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ToeKnee
    £80 is a tad tight ... £120? :wink:
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
  • maddog 2
    You can have them for 120 then :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Their returns policy on their website says if you buy something and then decide you don't want it you have 28 days to return it for a refund do why should it be any different for something you buy instore?
    Because when you buy something online it's covered by the distance selling regulations which say you have to have 28 days to return it for a refund if you change your mind.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The thing is you have mucked about them a bit, so maybe that's why they want to pay you in vouchers and not money. Sounds reasonable to me. You are what they would call a difficult customer.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Their returns policy on their website says if you buy something and then decide you don't want it you have 28 days to return it for a refund do why should it be any different for something you buy instore?
    Because when you buy something online it's covered by the distance selling regulations which say you have to have 28 days to return it for a refund if you change your mind.

I didn't realise that - thanks

As long as it is in the original condition suitable for selling to someone else. You can't buy a bike, ride the ar$e off it for 26 days then return it as unwanted.

Pity, I quite fancy a shot on a Cervelo........
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Stanley222 wrote:
    How have I mucked them about?
    They sold me a bike that was deemed to be faulty and offered a replacement, I simply don't want that replacement and want a refund - I'm hardly being difficult!
    What you are saying is that you have changed your mind and don't want the bike model that you originally bought and they are willing to replace.
    You would rather get the money and buy another bike (or other objects) from somewhere else.
    To the business involved, that is very inconvenient.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ToeKnee
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Still not convinced! Gonna have to seek more advice!
    I do find it funny when people ask for advice and then ignore it when it's not what they want to hear. :wink:

Don't d*ck around too much as their offer might be withdrawn.

It would be worthwhile assessing whether you'd realise more cash, and in what time frame, by selling the vouchers or the bike.
    Seneca wrote:
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I'd take the vouchers and sell for £160 and learn from the experience ...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I'd take the vouchers and sell for £160 and learn from the experience ...

The lesson being - don't buy bikes from Halfords*.

*Apparently the Boardmans aren't bad.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    You'll never get a cash refund because you didn't pay with cash, otherwise anyone with Bonusbonds will buy something then take it back saying it's unwanted and demand cash as the retailer can't supply Bonusbonds, same as if you pay on a credit card you will only get a refund on the card used, the closest thing Halfords can possibly give you are vouchers.

Fact is Halfords could blame you for the accident and you could be arguing over a replacement bike, take the vouchers!
  • maddog 2
    why don't you want the replacement?